All Apps and Add-ons

VMware app on Search head cluster environment

raju4244
Explorer

In our environment, we have Search Head cluster and indexer clustering with Master Server/deployment server. We referred the documentation, but we did not find any topic wherein it is showing deploying vmware apps on Search Head clustering, rather there was document on deploying app on Search Head pooling, which is not applicable to us.

Appreciate if any one can provide any configuration guide or any steps.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Unfortunately, as of now, v3.1.4 VMware app does not work in Search Head Clustering architecture. Dev. team has been planning to evaluate it. No ETA for a release with supporting SHC by VMware app at this time.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Unfortunately, as of now, v3.1.4 VMware app does not work in Search Head Clustering architecture. Dev. team has been planning to evaluate it. No ETA for a release with supporting SHC by VMware app at this time.

0 Karma

raju4244
Explorer

I saw the video of installing VMware app, wherein it is saying VMware app can be installed on dedicated search head and can configure the app to get a API logs of VMware vCenter

We can use clustered SH only for dash board purpose.
This is my plan, what will be your input on this

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are several technical issue/limitation in both VMware app and SHC currently. I do not suggest to try it. Collecting data itself can be done by dedicated scheduler. Some dashboards won't work or will miss data easily. So, collecting data itself works because it is not related to SHC.

0 Karma

raju4244
Explorer

Hi Masa,

So, we have to use our dedicated SH ( scheduler) for both data collection and for all our dashboards??

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Bottom line is that VMware app does not work under SHC environment.

0 Karma

shandman
Path Finder

Make the change or installation of the vmware app on one of the search heads. The configuration will then be passed on to the other search heads by the "captain" of the search head cluster.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...