All Apps and Add-ons

Using Splunk DB Connect to join splunk index to a table in sql server and fetch relevant data

neltonk
Path Finder

Hi,
I am new to SPL and Splunk. I use the following query to find PTP violations per server

index=indexwintimesynclogs|eval offset=Delta|where offset>0.0001 and like(ServerName,"%PRD%") | stats max(offset) as offset, count(offset) as violations by ServerName, TimeSource|sort -offset

Now I want to join the results of this query to the CMDB database and get the OS and Application details for each server reported by the above query.

What I have done so far?
- I have wrote the SQL query that is required to fetch data from CMDB
- Installed the App DB Connect and configured connection to CMDB
- Tested the connectivity and DB query -> Splunk DB Connect->Data Lab -> SQL Explorer
- I tried using dbxlookup to join:

index=indexwintimesynclogs|eval offset=Delta|where offset>0.0001 and like(ServerName,"%PRD%") | stats max(offset) as offset, count(offset) as violations by ServerName, TimeSource|sort -offset
| dbxlookup connection="CMDB" query="SELECT [T0].[COMPUTERNAME] As 'Server',
[T0].AD_DOMAINNAME,
[T0].[COMPUTERENVIRONMENT] As 'Environnement',
[T0].[OSNAME] As 'OS',
[T0].[Id_location] AS 'Location',
[T2].[APPLICATIONNAME] As 'ApplicationName',
[T2].[APPLICATIONCODE] As 'ApplicationCode',
[T2].ID_MANAGEMENTTEAM As 'Management team (Application)'
FROM [Publishing].[dbo].INFRASTRUCTURE_Server AS T0
JOIN [Publishing].[dbo].GENERAL_Relations AS T1 ON T0.ID_SERVER = T1.ID_PARENT AND T1.CIT_PARENT = 'Server' AND LINKTYPE = 'CST_APP2SRV'
JOIN [Publishing].[dbo].APPLICATION_Application AS T2 ON T2.ID_APPLICATION = T1.ID_CHILD AND T1.CIT_CHILD = 'Application'
LEFT JOIN [Publishing].[dbo].ORGANIZATION_BusinessLine AS T3 ON T2.ID_BUSINESSLINE_OWNER = T3.ID_BUSINESSLINE
WHERE T0.AM_ASSIGNMENT='0' and T0.COMPUTERENVIRONMENT = 'PROD' and T1.CRSTATE = 'In Service' ORDER BY T0.COMPUTERNAME" Server as ServerName OUTPUT OS AS OS, ApplicationName AS ApplicationIt does not work...

I tried creating a lookup under - Splunk DB Connect->Data Lab->Lookups

The query gets stuck at the first step - "Set Reference Search"

Search hangs with message - No fields found, forget to run the search?

Please help me...

1 Solution

neltonk
Path Finder

fixed the query myself...

index=indexwintimesynclogs NOT (ServerName=UAT OR ServerName=DEV)|eval ServerName=replace(ServerName, ".+?(\/)",""), offset=Delta|where (offset>0.0001 OR offset<-0.0001) | stats max(offset) as offset, count(offset) as violations by ServerName, TimeSource|sort -offset
| dbxlookup connection="CMDB" query="SELECT upper([T0].[COMPUTERNAME]) As 'Server',
[T0].AD_DOMAINNAME,
[T0].[OSNAME] As 'OS',
FROM [Publishing].[dbo].INFRASTRUCTURE_Server AS T0 with (nolock)
JOIN [Publishing].[dbo].GENERAL_Relations AS T1 with (nolock) ON T0.ID_SERVER = T1.ID_PARENT AND T1.CIT_PARENT = 'Server' AND LINKTYPE = 'CST_APP2SRV'
JOIN [Publishing].[dbo].APPLICATION_Application AS T2 with (nolock) ON T2.ID_APPLICATION = T1.ID_CHILD AND T1.CIT_CHILD = 'Application'
LEFT JOIN [Publishing].[dbo].ORGANIZATION_BusinessLine AS T3 with (nolock) ON T2.ID_BUSINESSLINE_OWNER = T3.ID_BUSINESSLINE
WHERE T0.AM_ASSIGNMENT='0' and T0.COMPUTERENVIRONMENT = 'PROD' and T1.CRSTATE = 'In Service'" Server as ServerName OUTPUT OS AS OS, ApplicationName AS Application

View solution in original post

neltonk
Path Finder

fixed the query myself...

index=indexwintimesynclogs NOT (ServerName=UAT OR ServerName=DEV)|eval ServerName=replace(ServerName, ".+?(\/)",""), offset=Delta|where (offset>0.0001 OR offset<-0.0001) | stats max(offset) as offset, count(offset) as violations by ServerName, TimeSource|sort -offset
| dbxlookup connection="CMDB" query="SELECT upper([T0].[COMPUTERNAME]) As 'Server',
[T0].AD_DOMAINNAME,
[T0].[OSNAME] As 'OS',
FROM [Publishing].[dbo].INFRASTRUCTURE_Server AS T0 with (nolock)
JOIN [Publishing].[dbo].GENERAL_Relations AS T1 with (nolock) ON T0.ID_SERVER = T1.ID_PARENT AND T1.CIT_PARENT = 'Server' AND LINKTYPE = 'CST_APP2SRV'
JOIN [Publishing].[dbo].APPLICATION_Application AS T2 with (nolock) ON T2.ID_APPLICATION = T1.ID_CHILD AND T1.CIT_CHILD = 'Application'
LEFT JOIN [Publishing].[dbo].ORGANIZATION_BusinessLine AS T3 with (nolock) ON T2.ID_BUSINESSLINE_OWNER = T3.ID_BUSINESSLINE
WHERE T0.AM_ASSIGNMENT='0' and T0.COMPUTERENVIRONMENT = 'PROD' and T1.CRSTATE = 'In Service'" Server as ServerName OUTPUT OS AS OS, ApplicationName AS Application

neltonk
Path Finder

Please assist... I am unable to setup a Lookup using DBConnect? Is DBConnect Lookup the solution for my requirement?

0 Karma

kuruvilla
Engager

Hi Did you figure this out... I am having very similar requirement, I am new to Splunk. I have been asked to work on MiFID regulatory reporting / auditing using Splunk....

Please help

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...