All Apps and Add-ons

Using DensityFunction to detect outliers

sbaker44
Engager

Hi, I am trying to find the outliers in a specific set of data (a count of login failures within 5 minutes). I have created and assigned the variable residual, which is the prediction (using algorithm LLP) minus the count. I have then cut out all the positive values, because I only want to catch large differences. 

What I am trying to do is figure out how to correspond what I have been doing with the Detect Numeric Outliers Assistant into a model I'm creating. Basically, how do I move an adjust the threshold so that it only catches a few outliers?

I have already tried to assign value to threshold and well as lower_threshold and upper_threshold, but it only shades the areas around the data set. Currently I have recreated what I was in the Detect Numeric Outliers Assistant and copy/pasted the SPL from that to see if I can assign it to the algorithm. Below is my example:

1| inputlookup loginfailures_count_5m.csv  
2| eval _time=strptime(_time,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%Q") #lines 1 and 2 are the csv file
3| predict count as prediction algorithm=LLP future_timespan=150 holdback=0 
4| where prediction!="" AND count!="" 
5| eval residual = prediction - count #lines 3 - 5 are setting what perdiction and residual do
6| eval residual = if(residual < 0, residual, 0) #this line gets rid of all positive values, we only want negative values
7| eventstats avg("residual") as avg stdev("residual") as stdev 
8| eval lowerBound=(avg-stdev*exact(6)), upperBound=(avg+stdev*exact(6))
9| eval isOutlier(residual)=if('residual' < lowerBound OR 'residual' > upperBound, 1, 0) #lines 7 - 9 are the SPL from the Detect Numeric Outliers Assistant, may not be the "answer"
10| fit DensityFunction residual show_options="feature_variables" into my_model #have tried different settings here, unsucessful, this is where we feel the problem lies  
11| apply my_model 

My DensityFunction Outliers graph looks like this:

Question 1.jpeg

but I need it to look  like this (populated with the Detect Numeric Outliers Assistant):

Question 1.jpeg

Any pointers/settings I haven't tried yet? Does anyone know a 1 to 1 correlation between the settings on the Assistant that translate into the DensityFunction (i.e.- what setting does a "sliding window")? Have looked through the docs here to no avail.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...