All Apps and Add-ons

Upgrade Plan For ServiceNow AddOn

rbal_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Currently we have installed Splunk integration app (version 1.1.6 current latest version) in ServiceNow sandbox region. But recently we have upgraded ServiceNow instance from Kingston to Landon version, So Splunk integration version is compatibility with Kingston or lower versions.

https://store.servicenow.com/sn_appstore_store.do#!/store/application/bac6db564f6a3100a0fc7d2ca310c7...

App developed by: Splunk Inc TPP
Available at: ServiceNow Store
Current support version: ServiecNow – Kingston
Support version required: ServiceNow – Landon

Could you please check and give us an idea when do we get the compatibility version for Landon release?

jaxjohnny2000
Builder

So, ServiceNow New York has been GA for a month. We're upgrading next week. The Splunk integration is not yet certified for New York. As I understand it, it takes a month or so to go through the red tape for ServiceNow Store app certification. New York early release to select customers and partners was a month prior to the GA date, so theoretically, there has been about 2 months to get this done - maybe SPlunk isn't taking advantage of the early access program.

Any date range info available on when to expect this?? It has been a year since we aborted looking at this integration from Splunk due to significant lack of alignment of certification pace with ServiceNow releases. We're still looking for additional firm evidence that Splunk is serious about maintaining this. We are hoping to see it certified in the store for New York soon - we may authorize internal testing to begin, if it is.

0 Karma

jfederline

So, ServiceNow New York has been GA for a month. We're upgrading next week. The Splunk integration is not yet certified for New York. As I understand it, it takes a month or so to go through the red tape for ServiceNow Store app certification. New York early release to select customers and partners was a month prior to the GA date, so theoretically, there has been about 2 months to get this done - maybe SPlunk isn't taking advantage of the early access program.

Any date range info available on when to expect this?? It has been a year since we aborted looking at this integration from Splunk due to significant lack of alignment of certification pace with ServiceNow releases. We're still looking for additional firm evidence that Splunk is serious about maintaining this. We are hoping to see it certified in the store for New York soon - we may authorize internal testing to begin, if it is.

0 Karma

mbagali_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@here:

The newer version of Splunk Add-on for ServiceNow (4.0.0 ) has been released.

Vendor products: ServiceNow Kingston, London, and Madrid

Splunk base : https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1928/

Documentation : https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/latest/ServiceNow/About

mikeenelson
Explorer

The new app is finally live!!!

It looks like they rebuilt the app to not require the config file for a specific version of ServiceNow. Happy testing!

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1928

0 Karma

jfederline

This is a good development - it must have been a simple re-cert for Madrid, since London was the latest just weeks ago. Unfortunately, we are now skipping Madrid, and going from London to New York. As an early access customer, we just received early access to New York. This generally indicates we are 2 months from release. code lock down is about a month from release.

While this is encouraging, we are now waiting until New York to begin testing this... so, as an added benefit, we now get a chance to see if Splunk updates and/or re-certifies this integration for New York in a timely manner, before we jump on this train. Would be good to see a couple rapid-fire new release certifications in one year.

If anyone tests on Madrid, it would be helpful to hear about how it goes.

0 Karma

bbouch
Explorer

Ugh... I've been asked to look at this app, but we're on Madrid and it looks like the latest version is only certified on London... Based on these comments, it looks like that happened relatively recently, so I'm concerned now about implementing something like this and having it become a critical piece of our monitoring platform if it can't keep up with the cadence of ServiceNow releases. Ideally, this is something Splunk and ServiceNow have partnered on and Splunk is getting early access to ServiceNow so this app can be updated as needed when new ServiceNow versions are released.

0 Karma

jfederline

If you are on Madrid already, the ServiceNow store app will not install into it, as it is currently certified only up to London (as of today, new release 1.1.7 posted 6/27/19). That is a protection the ServiceNow Store provides - certified compatibility with each release and will block installation into non-certified releases. Since London < Madrid, installation from the store of this app to a Madrid release instance will fail immediately.

From https://www.servicenow.com/content/dam/servicenow-assets/public/en-us/doc-type/legal/servicenow-upgr... :
"The current policy of ServiceNow is to support the most recent and the immediately previous release
families. Because ServiceNow generally makes release two new release families per year, you will need
to upgrade approximately once per year to stay on a supported release family.
"

Current release = Madrid, immediately previous release = London. London was released 9 months ago. New York will be released in about 3 months, which, by current policy, will make London unsupported. That gives this brand-new London-certified Splunk store app v1.1.7 a loosely-projected, fully-supported and guaranteed shelf life of about 3 months from today.

We share your sentiment, bbouch - we are currently gun shy about making this a critical piece of our environment. This slow pace of ServiceNow Store certification of this Splunk Integration app on new ServiceNow releases needs to pick up before we will again consider using it.

0 Karma

bbouch
Explorer

Thanks, you confirmed exactly what I thought was happening and your point on the shelf life of the app version is understood. Too bad. From what I can tell, this would have been a nice addition to our environment.

0 Karma

jfederline

Agreed, we wish the greatest success to Splunk in maintaining pace. When they do, we will probably snap it up, too. Cheers.

0 Karma

stboch
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

February March April May June?

0 Karma

jfederline

Created my account just to post this. Other than having been a Splunk proponent in another life.

We're starting to plan our upgrade to Madrid. We may go entire London without compatible Splunk app. We just started a POC of the app when we did the London upgrade last Fall. Obviously, that POC ended abruptly.

If we had been running on it in prod in Kingston, it would have been an unacceptable impact to delay a London upgrade. When we POC we will have to consider this type of delivery delay may happen again before we decide to use it.

So, in addition to finding out when this (London compatible) might actually come, would be good to know when Madrid compatible app will come, and what type of assurance Splunk can offer that this type of delay won't happen again.

0 Karma

dijikul
Communicator

I'm with you. There's big promises being made to deliver automated ticketing and it was learned we'll be moving to Madrid shortly as well. It's a scary proposition to think functionality would break due to integrations published by Splunk that aren't maintained.

0 Karma

stboch_umd
Explorer

Another month down... another year to wait? This ServiceCow mooooves slowlyalt text

0 Karma

stboch_umd
Explorer

3 more weeks and not a peep...

0 Karma

mikeenelson
Explorer

I've been told it's stuck on the legal side at ServiceNow. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent thread on the ServiceNow forums we can link to? Writing your ServiceNow rep might help too.

0 Karma

stboch_umd
Explorer
0 Karma

mbagali_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Servicenow TA 4.0.0 is scheduled to be release by end of this month (Tentative Date : 26 Feb 2019) , which is compatible with “Splunk integration app” London version.

sskidmore
Explorer

Please update this answer. We are long past 26 Feb 2019.

0 Karma

sskidmore
Explorer

Is this app going to be updated any time soon?

sskidmore
Explorer

How much longer? We heard that it would something this month...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...