All Apps and Add-ons

Upgrade DCN

simontam
Explorer

Is there any way to upgrade the data collection node? I am going to upgrade the Splunk app for VMware but cannot find any information about upgrading the dcn.

Should I just deploy a new one? But I am not sure what configuration has been done on it.

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

A good question! We used to have it in old versions.

Prerequisite
Find splunk_forwarder_for_vmware-<version>-<build_number>.zip in the downloaded VMware app package

Upgrade the data collection node

1. Stop Splunk
  2. Install splunk_forwarder_for_vmware-<version>-<build_number>.zip
  3. Unzip this file (the data collection node components) from $SPLUNK_HOME
  4. Note: Make sure you unzip the package from $SPLUNK_HOME, not $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps
  5. Check that the data collection components SA-Utils, SA-Hydra, Splunk_TA_vmware, and Splunk_TA_esxilogs exist in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps
  6. Delete the file $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_vmware/local/hydra_job.conf
  7. Start Splunk

If the scheduler is not connecting to the new DCN for some reason,
1. please check versions of SA-Utils and SA-Hydra for both SH and DCN and make sure they are same.
2. Also, please try, delete the DCN from Configuration Collections and add it back.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...