All Apps and Add-ons

Unsupported browsers

Lucas_K
Motivator

A client of mine just tried out the latest version of Splunk App for unix and get's this : "Sorry, the Splunk App for Unix and Linux is not compatible with your browser". They are forced to use Internet explorer (corporate SOE policy).

The captain obvious answer is "don't use that incompatible browser" but my client doesn't have the option to use any other one.

So my question is, any plans to remedy this in the future? (or work around it by removing the browser check).

edit: Have just looked through some of the javascript and im tipping quite a few html5 features are required, hence no older ie browser support.

1 Solution

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The visualizations in the new Splunk app for *nix makes heavy use of SVG via d3.js. We had to make a decision: use old visualizations to support legacy browsers, or use new visualizations and forsake legacy browsers. Coming from lock-down environments, I completely relate to the frustration of having to use legacy browsers for legacy purposes, but in the end we felt like we had to move forward.

The way we determine if your browser will work is to use modernizr, a really great feature detection utility that tells us among other things if the client supports SVG. More current versions of IE actually do support SVG, and things mostly just work, but CGales is correct about our browser support matrix.

View solution in original post

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Current guidance is that Exceptions are Not allowed.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Must have missed the word 'other'.

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Please read ChrisG's link:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/UnixApp/5.0/User/Platformandhardwarerequirements#What_web_brows...

"The Splunk App for Unix and Linux is not supported on any version of Internet Explorer.

It can, however, be used on any other Splunk-supported browser."

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The visualizations in the new Splunk app for *nix makes heavy use of SVG via d3.js. We had to make a decision: use old visualizations to support legacy browsers, or use new visualizations and forsake legacy browsers. Coming from lock-down environments, I completely relate to the frustration of having to use legacy browsers for legacy purposes, but in the end we felt like we had to move forward.

The way we determine if your browser will work is to use modernizr, a really great feature detection utility that tells us among other things if the client supports SVG. More current versions of IE actually do support SVG, and things mostly just work, but CGales is correct about our browser support matrix.

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Modernizer allows us to do pollyfills to load the plugins you are refering to (I think they are the ones), but this would mean a lot more testing to certify them.

0 Karma

rapmancz
Explorer

Splunk is not working with IE 11 or Edge after upgrade to Splunk 6.6. After login screen, only Loading... text is shown and nothing else... Firefox or chrome is OK... Are the browsers from MS still supported?

0 Karma

yoho
Contributor

I run into the same issue but I'm allowed to install plugins in my browser. There are some SVG plugins for IE: can't we use them ? Is there a way to bypass the detection ?

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There might be versions of internet explorer that we support in the future. For example, IE 10 has some support for SVG, so we might attempt to certify on it in the future.

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

I understand the reasoning.

So technically the answer to my question is "Internet explorer (any version) will never be supported or able to be used with this particular app.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

IE is indeed not a supported browser for this app, see the system requirements in the documentation (not a helpful answer in your specific situation, but adding the documentation link to this thread for reference).

Narj
Path Finder

They may be able to get permission to run a portable version of say, Firefox, which is what we tend to do to get around the god-awful experience that is an older version of IE. Several other applications we have are pretty much unusable in IE too. 😞

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

There are always exceptions to corporate policy if there is a need for it. This clearly sounds as if it is a legitimate business need, and it should not be too hard to convince the right people allow the Splunk users to run a compatible browser.

The option would be to run unsupported software (older version of Splunk) in a production environment, which is probably a worse 'offense' in terms of corporate policy.

/K

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...