All Apps and Add-ons

Unknown search command 'dbxquery'

cscaldeira
Explorer

Hi. I am trying to use dqxquery following the Splunk DB Connect 2 documentation but I am having no success. http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/latest/DeployDBX/Commands.

When I try to run dbxquery from Splunk Console it replies back with: "Unknown search command 'dbxquery'."

Anyone knows why?
One more question: To use dbxquery do I have to create DB Input for every single table that I want to use?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

jnussbaum_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

By default, the | dbxquery command will need to be ran from "search" within the Splunk DB Connect v2 App.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

slr
Communicator

Is true, by default the dbxquery command only run within the Splunk DB Connect v2 App, but if you go to "Manage Apps" and you change the "Permissions" to "All apps", you will can use it in any other app.

I mislead the second question, sorry: with a DB Input you can use only one "query", but if you use this syntax: SELECT * FROM `DataBase`.`table` you can do any query to any DB that your identity has access. Another option, you can create a new DB Connection with a different default DB, and then use this new connection in a new query/DBinput.

Regards.

napomokoetle
Communicator

Makes sense. Thanks!

0 Karma

jnussbaum_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

By default, the | dbxquery command will need to be ran from "search" within the Splunk DB Connect v2 App.

0 Karma

napomokoetle
Communicator

I also need to excute the DBXQUERY outside the DB Connect v2 App. Is this at all possible? If so, how does one enable it. I've right many permission configs that didn't help. Thanks!

0 Karma

cscaldeira
Explorer

You mean, I can not use this command on normal Splunk console. Need to use it on Db operations right!
I could use it on DB Input

0 Karma

tdiestel
Path Finder

@jnussbaum when you say "By default", does that mean we can change a setting to run |dbxquery from another app? I would love to use the |dbxquery on one of my dashboards that's not in the Splunk DB Connect v2 App and was wondering how to do that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...