All Apps and Add-ons

Understanding Servicenow Transaction Logs from Splunk through SN REST API

mark_map

Hello -

I'm overall a novice to Splunk as my focus is more on ServiceNow Admin.   But I'm trying to get a better high level understanding how Splunk is working with our SN environment and Event Management to better help support when Splunk/Event Management issues crop up.

I haven't had a chance to discuss further with our local support who integrated/setup this last year with a outside vendor's support.  So I thought I'd ask here.  We have Splunk setup (using SN Splunk add-on) to create events  in ServiceNow.   We have a local Splunk account with the proper Splunk role and access to the rest api.  And all seems to work from what I understand in most cases.  I'm just trying to understand what the transaction logs are telling me.   

Splunk seems to create a large number of transactions during the day.   Many of them appear to be just looking at / scanning the em_event (note the URL without parameters) while a some others also include parameters (in the url query string. (/api/now/table/em_event?sysparm_exclude_reference_link=true&sysparm_query=sys_created_on......) 

What would be causing the splunk rest api transaction where there are no parameters being passed?  Is this normal?   From what I understand, the transactions with parameters would be coming from Splunk where our splunk admin setup such a query. 

Just trying to get a clearer picture on this part of the integration. 

Thanks

SN Transaction LogSN Transaction Log

Labels (3)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...