All Apps and Add-ons

Unable to load Netezza Driver

joshua_hart1
Path Finder

I recently installed the Netezza driver nzjdbc3.jar into /opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers and when I reload the drivers list (or restart the server), the following shows up in my DBX logs:

2017-11-20 14:33:18.481 -0500  [dw-71 - POST /api/drivers/reload] WARN  com.splunk.dbx.service.driver.DriverServiceImpl - action=load_drivers Can not load any driver from files [/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers/nzjdbc3.jar]

The driver is the latest version provided by IBM. Any ideas or pointers as to where I can go to figure out why no drivers are being loaded? Is there anything I missed?

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Have you created an entry in db_connection_types.conf ? Netezza is not supported out of the box in dbx3. Add something like this to /etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/local/db_connection_types.conf

[netezza]
displayName = Netezza
serviceClass = com.splunk.dbx2.DefaultDBX2JDBC
jdbcDriverClass = org.netezza.Driver
jdbcUrlFormat = jdbc:netezza://<host>:<port>/<database>
port = 5480

We had success with that. You'll need to restart splunk first.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Have you created an entry in db_connection_types.conf ? Netezza is not supported out of the box in dbx3. Add something like this to /etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/local/db_connection_types.conf

[netezza]
displayName = Netezza
serviceClass = com.splunk.dbx2.DefaultDBX2JDBC
jdbcDriverClass = org.netezza.Driver
jdbcUrlFormat = jdbc:netezza://<host>:<port>/<database>
port = 5480

We had success with that. You'll need to restart splunk first.

0 Karma

joshua_hart1
Path Finder

I have. Once I added that config to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/db_connection_types.conf, I restarted and attempted to create the connection. The screenshot below shows the error it threw:

DBX Error

0 Karma

joshua_hart1
Path Finder

Just updated the original post. Splunk Answers really should allow uploading of images...

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Kind of implies a permissions issue, although I have not specifically seen that issue. I would definitely check who owns the driver file - are you using a non root user to run splunk? It's possible that the driver was copied as root, in which case splunk might not be able to load it. Also I would check the ownership on the local/*,conf files in the dbx app - there may be permissions issues there as well. If they all look fine then you're probably going to have to take it up with support. I suggest sharing this in the #dbconnect slack channel as well, one of the other users may have seen it

0 Karma

joshua_hart1
Path Finder
[splunk@host drivers]$ ll
total 2332
-rw-r--r-- 1 splunk splunk 317816 Oct 17 10:48 jtds-1.3.1.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 splunk splunk 999635 Aug 28 22:13 mysql-connector-java-5.1.44-bin.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 splunk splunk 340338 Nov 20 14:29 nzjdbc3.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 splunk splunk 713037 Oct 17 10:55 postgresql-42.1.4.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 splunk splunk     41 Oct 17 10:05 README

And...

[splunk@host local]$ ll
total 28
-rw------- 1 splunk splunk  28 Oct 17 10:05 app.conf
-rw------- 1 splunk splunk 229 Nov 27 08:45 db_connections.conf
-rw-rw-r-- 1 splunk splunk 185 Nov 27 08:39 db_connection_types.conf
-rw------- 1 splunk splunk  44 Oct 17 10:13 dbx_settings.conf
-rw------- 1 splunk splunk 267 Nov 20 14:25 identities.conf
-rw------- 1 splunk splunk  89 Oct 17 10:13 inputs.conf
-rw------- 1 splunk splunk  69 Oct 17 10:05 ui-metrics-collector.conf

Permissions seem to be good to go. Splunk processes are running as the splunk user, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

yeah that looks all right. Support would be the next step

0 Karma

joshua_hart1
Path Finder

I'm thinking there may be some firewall rules between my HF running DBX and the database. That said, the Netezza driver has given others some trouble as well and I don't know that we'll get around that. I'm going to hunt down the firewall issues and see if that doesn't aid connectivity. That said, I was able to get the driver loaded, which answered the question, so I'm marking this solution as accepted.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Wait how did you fix it? Was it a permissions issue?

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

No screenshot there..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...