All Apps and Add-ons

Unable to fetch aws:description data from all AWS accounts using "Assumed Role"

Nagulapalli
Engager

Hi,

I am working on Splunk-Addon for AWS setup, with an objective to centralize data from all AWS accounts and I have problem centralizing data for sourcetype=aws:description,

Issue description:
Unable to fetch aws:description data from all AWS accounts using "Assumed Role", the current details of the setup are shown below.

Details of the setup:

Each AWS workload account:
setup an IAM role in each AWS account that covers policy "Configure one policy containing permissions for all inputs"
arn:aws:iam::xxxxxxxx1:role/TestLogging
arn:aws:iam::xxxxxxxx2:role/TestLogging

Central Logging AWS account:
Created an IAM role (e.g.CTLRole) and provisioned to use the following policy
{
"Version": "2012-10-17",
"Statement": [
{
"Effect": "Allow",
"Resource": [
"arn:aws:iam::xxxxxxxx1:role/TestLogging",
"arn:aws:iam::xxxxxxxx1:role/TestLogging "],
"Action": "sts:AssumeRole"
}
]
}

Splunk Add-on:
Added ARN of CTLrole in "IAM Role" section, e.g. arn:aws:iam::xxxxxxcentralaccount:role/CTLrole
Added an Aws account, an IAM user account created in Central Logging AWS account, and configured access and security keys.
Configured aws:description input to use this account and Assume CTLrole.

testing shows Splunk-Add on not able to pull this data, it is however working if I add aws:description for individual account, but the objective here is to avoid creating individual IAM user for each account and configure aws:description for each account.

Looking for some guidance on this.

Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...