All Apps and Add-ons

Unable to create inputs on Splunk Cloud instance and website monitoring

jageoforce
Engager

I just had the Website Monitoring app installed on my Cloud instance. I have a few issues.

On the Status Overview page, I get a message that says "Create an input to monitor a website. Create a website monitoring input now." Clicking that takes me to an Add Data page but the web_ping type (as specified from the URL) is not available and the right side iframe has a 404.

When attempting to create inputs on the Create Inputs tab, I get an error that says "1 input was not created." If I attempt to add the checkbox "Dont create input if URL already monitored" I just get a progress bar that doesn't move.

Checking the logs for troubleshooting, I see a lot of these

2019-10-15 16:07:56,626 ERROR   [redacted] proxy:196 - [HTTP 403] Client is not authorized to perform requested action; https://127.0.0.1:8089/services/shcluster/status?output_mode=json
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/controllers/proxy.py", line 174, in index
    timeout=simpleRequestTimeout
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/rest/__init__.py", line 536, in simpleRequest
    raise splunk.AuthorizationFailed(extendedMessages=uri)
AuthorizationFailed: [HTTP 403] Client is not authorized to perform requested action; https://127.0.0.1:8089/services/shcluster/status?output_mode=json

Any help would be appreciated.

LukeMurphey
Champion

What version are you using? I tested this and mine works. This looks to me like a bug but I'm wondering if it only affects older versions of the app.

0 Karma

jageoforce
Engager

I ended up just scrapping the app entirely and going with a purpose-built solution outside the Splunk ecosystem.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

Disclaimer - I do not work for Splunk, this is not an official Splunk response to your question!
You can not add inputs on your Splunk Cloud Search Head this is due to service offering and SLAs offered to clients.
therefore, build a Heavy Forwarder, install the website monitoring app and send data to your Splunk Cloud
use the current app on your SH to view the data ...
also iitc, there is an index associated with the app, you might need to create that index too

hope it helps

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...