All Apps and Add-ons

Where to place configuration files for universal forwarder push?

SplunkDash
Motivator

Hello,

I have data coming in near real-time to a host (Linux)  where UF installed on it. It's a new push, objective is to send these events to SPLUNK indexer to view them from search head. Everything on place except I need to put new props.conf, inputs.conf, and transforms.conf files into that server. My question is where and how should I put those configuration files. Create a new folder local under etc/apps/ folder from CLI and copy all these 3 configuration files Or copy all these configuration files into ......etc/system/local folder.....or ....? Any recommendations will be highly appreciated. Thank you so much. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SplunkDash,

if the Universal Forwarder is already installed and confgured to send data to Indexers and you have only to add a new input, you have to:

if apps are manually deployed to the Forwarder:

• open an inputs.conf in anothe app,
  • add a stanza like this:
[monitor:///your_path/your_file.log]
index=your_index
sourcetype=your_sourcetype
disabled=0
  • restart Splunk on Forwarder.

if instead you deploy apps using the Deployment Server, you have to do the same thing on one inputs.conf that you can find in an app in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment/apps of the Deployment Server and the nforce app deploy on DS (splunk reload deploy-server)

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

SplunkDash
Motivator

Hey @gcusello 

What would you recommend between REST API and TCP to send data to Third Party Server. Client doesn't prefer to go with Syslog option. Thank you again. 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

SplunkDash
Motivator

I lost the link I posted yesterday and posted new one. Here is the link:

Send Data from SPLUNK to Third Party Servers - Splunk Community

Thank you so much!

@gcusello

0 Karma

SplunkDash
Motivator

@gcusello 

I submitted a request @ REST API to send Data to Third Party Server - Splunk Community

if you like to participate in that discussion, would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

SplunkDash
Motivator

@gcusello 

Thank you so much as always. I need to creat a new props due to the complexity of data structure and use cases.
What is the best way to creat a new dedicated app from CLI…it’s a completely new push. Can I creat a new app folder from CLI and copy the content of any existing  app there and modify its props and inputs configuration files? Thank you so much again.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SplunkDash,

you can use the approach you like and you better know.

I usually create an app by CLI and manually create the folders and the files.

If you want to be more sure, you could use the App builder App on your Splunk Enterprise to check this TA bfore deploying it.

There's only one point of attention I'd highlight: if you have to deploy this app to Linux targets, don't create it on Windows because there could be permissions issues.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

SplunkDash
Motivator

@gcusello 

I think that might be the smartest approach. Let me try this, thank you so much, appreciate your support in these efforts as always.

0 Karma

aasabatini
Motivator

Hi @SplunkDash 

yes the best pratices are create a small app to put your configuration.

be careful props and trasforms doesn't works on the UF, if you want use that file you have to install HF.

Regards

Alessandro

“The answer is out there, Neo, and it’s looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.”

SplunkDash
Motivator

Hello,

Thank you so much for your quick reaponse....oh ok ..yes agree ..need to have HF....one question, how I would create new app from CLI.... go to the /etc/apps folder, then.........mkdir NewappName,  and then under that mkdir local, and then copy all configuration files under local folder. Your recommendation will be highly appreciated. Thank you so much again.

0 Karma

aasabatini
Motivator

Hi @SplunkDash 

there are many ways to manage this

first one:

use a deployment server (reccomended)

go on the /opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/ and create your small app

mkdir -p small_app/local

and put your conf file on the local folder

go on the deployment server web interface and crate a class server to push your new app.

connect in ssh on the HF and create a small app (not reccomended)

quick tip

if you are not familiar with the cli you can use this app to manage conf by UI

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4353/

Regards

“The answer is out there, Neo, and it’s looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.”

SplunkDash
Motivator

@aasabatini 

Thank you so much again:  let me try your this recommendation and get back to you.

use a deployment server (reccomended)

go on the /opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/ and create your small app

mkdir -p small_app/local

and put your conf file on the local folder

Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...