All Apps and Add-ons

Troubleshoot Splunk DB connect error

ips_mandar
Builder

Hi,
I am using splunk db connect version 3.1.4 and I am getting below error for sourcetype=dbx_server -

[QuartzScheduler_Worker-32] ERROR c.s.d.s.d.r.columnprocessor.RowProcessor - action=fail_to_transform_column row_id=N/A
java.sql.SQLException: Value '0000-00-00 00:00:00' can not be represented as java.sql.Timestamp
    at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:964)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:897)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:886)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:860)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.ResultSetImpl.getTimestampFromString(ResultSetImpl.java:5673)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.ResultSetImpl.getStringInternal(ResultSetImpl.java:5306)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.ResultSetImpl.getString(ResultSetImpl.java:5135)
    at com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.HikariProxyResultSet.getString(HikariProxyResultSet.java)
    at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordreader.columnprocessor.TimezoneAwareProcessor.transform(TimezoneAwareProcessor.java:30)
    at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordreader.columnprocessor.RowProcessor.transformColumn(RowProcessor.java:67)
    at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordreader.columnprocessor.RowProcessor.apply(RowProcessor.java:56)
    at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.task.processors.EventPayloadProcessor.processRecord(EventPayloadProcessor.java:59)
    at org.easybatch.core.processor.CompositeRecordProcessor.processRecord(CompositeRecordProcessor.java:38)
    at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.processRecord(BatchJob.java:179)
    at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.readAndProcessBatch(BatchJob.java:152)
    at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.call(BatchJob.java:78)
    at org.easybatch.extensions.quartz.Job.execute(Job.java:59)
    at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:202)
    at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:573)

seems to be timestamp issue but not sure for which input it is getting..any idea how I can start troubleshooting this.

0 Karma

treywebb
Explorer

I actually ran into this last night and found a fix that I thought i would share. Basically the way i understand it is that the database has a DateTime field that is empty and the java driver doesn't like it. So you can add a parameter to the jdbcUrl to tell it to covert them to Nulls like so:

jdbcUrlFormat = jdbc:mysql://<host>:<port>/<database>?zeroDateTimeBehavior=convertToNull

This should be in your local/db_connection_types.conf file (in my case under a mysql stanza.

I found this information here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11133759/0000-00-00-000000-can-not-be-represented-as-java-sql-ti...

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Search using QuartzScheduler_Worker-32 in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunk_app_db_connect_server.log , as far as I know quartz scheduler worker number is same for all different steps for single DB input execution at particular time (NOTE: Same quartz scheduler number will assign to another jobs, it is starting from 1 and will go to 32 (Increment of one for every new job) and once it reach 32, it will reset again to 1 & this is my observation only)

0 Karma

skalliger
Motivator

Look through the _internal logs and see this doc: Troubleshooting DB Connect and see if that helps you finding the root caue.

Skalli

0 Karma

ips_mandar
Builder

Thanks @skalliger above error is coming under internal logs index=_internal sourcetype=dbx_server ...provided link wont help as I am not understanding for which db input it is happening

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...