All Apps and Add-ons

Trimming firewall logs using syslog-ng to conserve license, and a bugfix for the Fortinet FortiGate Add-On for Splunk

satyenshah
Path Finder

Below is one improvement (which saves a significant amount of money/resources) and one bug fix (which improves ingest) relevant for everyone who supports Fortinet.

Event Trimming

In our environment, Fortigate firewall logs accounted for about 20% of our Splunk license usage. This is a typical Fortigate traffic event:

time=17:28:50 devname="my3700d" devid="FGT37D4615801234" logid="0000000020" type="traffic" subtype="forward" level="notice" vd="mirror-dmz" eventtime=1570055330 srcip=192.0.2.35 srcname="venus.example.local" srcport=41394 srcintf="internal.123" srcintfrole="undefined" dstip=18.71.0.20 dstport=389 dstintf="external.466" dstintfrole="undefined" poluuid="b64cd2aa-8b22-51e9-36fd-43ef903c833b" sessionid=3049101971 proto=6 action="accept" policyid=188 policytype="policy" service="LDAP" dstcountry="United States" srccountry="Reserved" trandisp="noop" duration=275 sentbyte=386 rcvdbyte=60 sentpkt=6 rcvdpkt=1 appcat="unscanned" sentdelta=386 rcvddelta=60

this event is over 650 bytes long. Since Splunk licensing is based on raw event size, stripping down that event before it gets ingested by Splunk can have a dramatic effect on license usage. Fortinet does not have any settings for making its events less chatty. So, we used syslog-ng's rewrite functionality to trim the events like this:

time=17:28:50 devname="my3700d" devid="FGT37D4615801234" logid="0000000020" type="traffic" subtype="forward" level="notice" vd="mirror-dmz" eventtime=1570055330 srcip=192.0.2.35 srcname="venus.example.local" srcport=41394 srcintf="internal.123" srcintfrole="undefined" dstip=18.71.0.20 dstport=389 dstintf="external.466" dstintfrole="undefined" poluuid="b64cd2aa-8b22-51e9-36fd-43ef903c833b" sessionid=3049101971 proto=6 action="accept" policyid=188 policytype="policy" service="LDAP" dstcountry="United States" srccountry="Reserved" trandisp="noop" duration=275 sentbyte=386 rcvdbyte=60 sentpkt=6 rcvdpkt=1 appcat="unscanned" sentdelta=386 rcvddelta=60
which is under 400 bytes. Many events (like drops and blocks) shrink even further. It's up to you to decide which fields to keep and which to discard. We removed fields that were not of interest to the firewall admins. In addition to the fields shown, we could have safely deleted the human-readable 'time' field (see item #2 below). We could also have totally discarded the src/dst name fields which are pulled from reverse DNS, but in our case we elected to just trim the FQDN down to the short name. I'm probably also going to rename the 'action' field to 'vendor-action' or something else to avoid collision and confusion with the CIM-mapped 'action'.

In syslog-ng, the configuration looks like this:

# TCP/601 - RFC5424, octet counting
source s_aggregation_tcp_601 {
 syslog(
  ip(0.0.0.0) transport(tcp) port(601)
 );
};

rewrite rewrite_fortigate {
 #subst ( '^time=\d\d:\d\d:\d\d(\.\d{3,6})? ', "", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' devid="[A-Z0-9]{16}" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' logid="[0-9]{10}" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' srcname="([\w-]+)\.example\.local" ', ' srcname="$1" ', value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' srcintfrole="[a-z]+" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' dstname="([\w-]+)\.example\.local" ', ' dstname="$1" ', value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' dstintfrole="[a-z]+" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' poluuid="[a-z0-9-]{36}" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' sessionid=[0-9]+ ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' policytype="policy" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' srccountry="[^"]+" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' dstcountry="[^"]+" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' service="[^"]+" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' appcat="unscanned"', "", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' crscore=[0-9]+ craction=[0-9]+ crlevel="[a-z]+"', "", value("MESSAGE") );
};

filter f_firewall {
 netmask(192.0.2.1/32)
;};

template t_msg_only { template("${MESSAGE}\n"); template_escape(no); };
destination d_firewall { file("/app/$LOGHOST/log/$R_YEAR-$R_MONTH-$R_DAY/firewall/$SOURCEIP/$R_HOUR-$LEVEL-$FACILITY.log" suppress(0) template(t_msg_only)); };
log { source(s_aggregation_tcp_601); filter(f_firewall); rewrite(rewrite_fortigate); destination(d_firewall); flags(final); };

Note that since last year Fortinet versions v6.0+ support modern RFC5424/RFC6514 syslog. So, you can now do syslog over TCP instead of over UDP. However, be careful that in syslog-ng you must use the syslog() driver instead of the network() driver. The network() driver is for legacy BSD syslog, which is what most devices today still use.

Because I discard the 'devid' field, I needed to make one modification to the Fortinet TA deployed to the Heavy Forwarder on the syslog-ng server. I added this file to the TA:

# $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_fortinet_fortigate/local/transforms.conf
[force_sourcetype_fgt_traffic]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
REGEX = \stype=\"?traffic\"?\s
FORMAT = sourcetype::fgt_traffic

[force_sourcetype_fgt_utm]
REGEX = \stype=\"?utm\"?\s
FORMAT = sourcetype::fgt_utm

[force_sourcetype_fgt_event]
REGEX = \stype=\"?event\"?\s
FORMAT = sourcetype::fgt_event

By using syslog-ng to trim our logs, we cut our daily firewall log ingest from 180GB to about 70GB. At today's pricing, the value of that 110GB savings in Splunk license is maybe $60,000 per year. Trimming events also made them more readable (when using the 'Search and Reporting' app), faster to query, and consume less disk. For any deep debugging that requires those trimmed fields, the firewall admins still have access to those events in Fortianalyzer.

Timestamp Extraction

There is a bug in current versions (up to 1.6.1) of the Splunk add-on for Fortinet that breaks timestamp extraction. The bug causes Splunk timestamp extraction to guess the timestamp, which sometimes fails. When it fails, Splunk will intermittently backdate recent events with the right time but a random date from the past ~10 years. Most events do get properly assigned today's date - only a few events get backdated. So perhaps the biggest ramification of the bug is that it gives Splunk buckets a longer date range. Your firewall log buckets will say they contain years of data instead of a few days or weeks of data, because a few events have the wrong date.

The fix is adding this file to the TA, to explicitly extract epoch time from events:

# $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_fortinet_fortigate/local/props.conf
[fgt_log]
TIME_PREFIX = \seventtime=
TIME_FORMAT = %s
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 28

This bug has been reported to Fortinet and should be fixed in upcoming versions of the TA.

1 Solution

jerryzhao
Contributor

Thanks Satyen for the input.
As Satyen also pointed out, please trim the events according to your own needs. Some trimming may break dashboards on the Fortinet App.

View solution in original post

ornaldo
Path Finder

Sharing here for the community the final version of syslog-ng.conf that helped me trimming the logs. However until now during the monitoring i have noticed that unfortunately there is not any difference on the license consume. It is still the same 😞 

@version: 3.35
@include "scl.conf"

# Syslog-ng configuration file, compatible with default Debian syslogd
# installation.

# First, set some global options.
options { 
    chain_hostnames(off); 
    flush_lines(0); 
    use_dns(no); 
    use_fqdn(no);
    owner("root"); 
    group("adm"); 
    perm(0640); 
    stats_freq(0);
    bad_hostname("^gconfd$");
    create_dirs(yes);
    keep_hostname(yes);
    log_fifo_size(2048);
    log_msg_size(8192);
    time_reopen(10);
};
# Adding param to make syslog-ng listen on udp/514 for syslog
source s_net {
    udp(port(514));
};
# Adding destination for local file to receive FortiGate logs

destination d_fortinet_fortigate {
    file("/root/syslog/logs/fortinet/fortigate/$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY-fortinet-fortigate.log" create_dirs(yes));
};

destination d_fortinet_fortiweb {
    file("/root/syslog/logs/fortinet/fortiweb/$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY-fortinet-fortiweb.log" create_dirs(yes));
};

destination d_fortinet_fortiauthenticator {
    file("/root/syslog/logs/fortinet/fortiauthenticator/$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY-fortinet-fortiauthenticator.log" create_dirs(yes));
};

destination d_fortinet_fortimail {
    file("/root/syslog/logs/fortinet/fortimail/$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY-fortinet-fortimail.log" create_dirs(yes));
};
# Filter to instruct syslog-ng how to identify FortiGate syslog
filter f_fortinet_fortigate {
    match("devid=\"FG[A-Z0-9]+\"" value("MESSAGE"));
};

filter f_fortinet_fortiweb {
    match("device_id=FV[A-Z0-9]+" value("MESSAGE"));
};

filter f_fortinet_fortiauthenticator {
    match("subcategory=\"Authentication\"" value("MESSAGE"));
};

filter f_fortinet_fortimail {
    match("device_id=FE[A-Z0-9]+" value("MESSAGE"));
};

# Trimming different parts together for logging

subst ( ' srcname="([\w-]+)\.example\.local" ', ' srcname="$1" ', value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' dstname="([\w-]+)\.example\.local" ', ' dstname="$1" ', value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' crscore=[0-9]+ craction=[0-9]+ crlevel="[a-z]+"', "", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' attackid=[0-9]+ ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' incidentserialno=[0-9]+ ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' ref="http:\/\/www\.fortinet\.com\/ids\/VID[0-9]+"', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
 subst ( ' msg="application[s]?([0-9]+)?:[^.]+.[^.]+.[^.]+.[^.]+.[^.]+"', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
};

# Creating the different parts together for logging

log {
    source(s_net);
    filter(f_fortinet_fortigate);
rewrite(rewrite_fortigate);
    destination(d_fortinet_fortigate);
};

log { 
    source(s_net);
    filter(f_fortinet_fortiweb);
    destination(d_fortinet_fortiweb);
};

log { 
    source(s_net);
    filter(f_fortinet_fortiauthenticator);
    destination(d_fortinet_fortiauthenticator);
};

log {
    source(s_net);
    filter(f_fortinet_fortimail);
    destination(d_fortinet_fortimail);
};
###
# Include all config files in /etc/syslog-ng/conf.d/
###
@include "/etc/syslog-ng/conf.d/*.conf"
0 Karma

satyenshah
Path Finder

The only reason I can think of for your _raw data shrinking but not impacting your license usage is if your Splunk license is workload-model not ingest-model.

0 Karma

ornaldo
Path Finder

Sorry to bother your since i'm new to Splunk and i came from RSA where this "Tricks" did not existed at all.

How and where i can check which model of license i do have ?

Thank You 

0 Karma

ornaldo
Path Finder

Hi there, 

The syslog-ng configuration that you have described should erase all the other configurations or should be added into some part of the code ? 

Currently my syslog-ng configuration looks like:

@version: 3.13
@include "scl.conf"

# Syslog-ng configuration file, compatible with default Debian syslogd
# installation.

# First, set some global options.
options {
chain_hostnames(off);
flush_lines(0);
use_dns(no);
use_fqdn(no);
owner("root");
group("adm");
perm(0640);
stats_freq(0);
bad_hostname("^gconfd$");
create_dirs(yes);
keep_hostname(yes);
log_fifo_size(2048);
log_msg_size(8192);
time_reopen(10);
};
# Adding param to make syslog-ng listen on udp/514 for syslog
source s_net {
udp(port(514));
};
# Adding destination for local file to receive FortiGate logs

destination d_fortinet_fortigate {
file("/root/syslog/logs/fortinet/fortigate/$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY-fortinet-fortigate.log" create_dirs(yes));
};

destination d_fortinet_fortiweb {
file("/root/syslog/logs/fortinet/fortiweb/$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY-fortinet-fortiweb.log" create_dirs(yes));
};

destination d_fortinet_fortiauthenticator {
file("/root/syslog/logs/fortinet/fortiauthenticator/$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY-fortinet-fortiauthenticator.log" create_dirs(yes));
};

destination d_fortinet_fortimail {
file("/root/syslog/logs/fortinet/fortimail/$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY-fortinet-fortimail.log" create_dirs(yes));
};
# Filter to instruct syslog-ng how to identify FortiGate syslog
filter f_fortinet_fortigate {
match("devid=\"FG[A-Z0-9]+\"" value("MESSAGE"));
};

filter f_fortinet_fortiweb {
match("device_id=FV[A-Z0-9]+" value("MESSAGE"));
};

filter f_fortinet_fortiauthenticator {
match("subcategory=\"Authentication\"" value("MESSAGE"));
};

filter f_fortinet_fortimail {
match("device_id=FE[A-Z0-9]+" value("MESSAGE"));
};
# Creating the different parts together for logging

log {
source(s_net);
};

log {
source(s_net);
filter(f_fortinet_fortiweb);
destination(d_fortinet_fortiweb);
};

log {
source(s_net);
filter(f_fortinet_fortiauthenticator);
destination(d_fortinet_fortiauthenticator);
};

log {
source(s_net);
filter(f_fortinet_fortimail);
destination(d_fortinet_fortimail);
};
###
# Include all config files in /etc/syslog-ng/conf.d/
###
@include "/etc/syslog-ng/conf.d/*.conf"

0 Karma

satyenshah
Path Finder

In your case, change log{} for fortinet_fortigate to reference rewrite{}, so modify your config like this:

<subst commands go here>
};

log {
source(s_net);
};

0 Karma

ornaldo
Path Finder

So, if i understood correct: Instead of

log {
source(s_net);
};

should be like this:

r

subst ( ' srccountry="[^"]+" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
subst ( ' dstcountry="[^"]+" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
subst ( ' service="[^"]+" ', " ", value("MESSAGE") );
};

log {
source(s_net);
};

0 Karma

ornaldo
Path Finder

Thank you @satyenshah for sharing this.

In case i cannot deploy syslog, is it possible to do the trimming directly in SPLUNK via transforms.conf ?

0 Karma

satyenshah
Path Finder

Yes you can also do the rewrites using SEDCMD in props.conf or REGEX/FORMAT in transforms.conf.  It's more efficient doing it ahead of the index pipeline.  But doing it Typing shouldn't be too expensive.

There's also a second set of transforms worth applying to fortigate traffic logs to CIM-normalize the fields (e.g. srcip to src_ip) and more significantly to rewrite "action=" to "vendor_action=" or "fgt_action=", which causes a lot of confusion when users search for blocked/denied traffic because the CIM and fortigate conflict with each other.  I'll share here.

jerryzhao
Contributor

Thanks Satyen for the input.
As Satyen also pointed out, please trim the events according to your own needs. Some trimming may break dashboards on the Fortinet App.

vishnuvardhansb
Explorer

Hi @satyenshah / @jerryzhao ,

Thanks for the awesome post. We had the same problem in our environment and we had applied this fix in our syslog-ng server yesterday and we see a considerable difference in the raw logs length of Fortinet logs after the unwanted fields are stripped. But we also noticed that, we no longer receive any logs in the catch-all sourcetype (fgt_log). Is this something expected?

Regards,

Vishnu.

0 Karma

satyenshah
Path Finder

I don't see that happening in my environment.  Am running TA version 1.6.1.  I haven't checked if it works with 1.6.2.

0 Karma

vishnuvardhansb
Explorer

Thanks @satyenshah ,

We are running v.1.6.2 of the TA. Not sure if this is a specific problem with this TA version.

0 Karma

satyenshah
Path Finder

I haven't looked at this in a while, but I think the fortidgate TA looks at the DEVID which I discard.  Workaround is FIELDALIASing the DEVID to map to HOST, or you could even just manually recreate DEVID in PROPS since in most environments you you can probably fit all your Fortigates into one CASE() statement.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...