All Apps and Add-ons

Transfer data to Splunk from database on different server

harry2007gsp
Path Finder

We are right now transferring data from MongoDb to Splunk with the help of 3rd party JDBC driver via DBX addon app for Splunk.
Now our scenario is to replace MongoDb with MySql and we don't wanna use any JDBC driver for it.

So which is the best way to transfer data from performance point of view?
1. Use Splunk Python SDK and push data with code from MySql to Splunk?
2. Use common network drive for both MySql and Splunk servers and do scp linux command?
3. Something else?

Please help me.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

From a purely performance standpoint, using a process that grabs the data from the database and sends it into Splunk via HEC (Http Event Collector) would be one of the most performant ways, but it also would be more maintenance, and would require you to do some custom set up.

From a purely get-the-data-in maintainability perspective, use DBX. DBX isn't the best way to get data into and out of Splunk, but it is a safe way and typically gets the job done well enough.

View solution in original post

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

From a purely performance standpoint, using a process that grabs the data from the database and sends it into Splunk via HEC (Http Event Collector) would be one of the most performant ways, but it also would be more maintenance, and would require you to do some custom set up.

From a purely get-the-data-in maintainability perspective, use DBX. DBX isn't the best way to get data into and out of Splunk, but it is a safe way and typically gets the job done well enough.

harry2007gsp
Path Finder

Thanks @cpetterborg. I was thinking to copy data with scp into Splunk's staging directory with a script on common network drive. So is this HEC even faster than that?

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, significantly.

0 Karma

harry2007gsp
Path Finder

@cpetterborg, can we use HEC for lookup(mapping tables in mysql) data transfer to lookups(Splunk's lookups) inside Splunk rather than indexes?

I could not find how to save data in Splunk's lookups with HEC.

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You cannot create a lookup using the HEC. It is only for getting events into Splunk. In order to create/modify a lookup you will have to use the REST API.

0 Karma

harry2007gsp
Path Finder

Hi @cpetterborg,
Can we push lookup table data from outside database(mongoDb lookukp collection) to splunk with splunk python sdk?

We have been pushing normal data to splunk with the help of third party JDBC unity drivers but now planning to push it with python splunk sdk. This case is possible and we know how to do it.

Problem is how can we push lookup data to splunk lookup tables instead of indexes.

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have not done that, so I don't know, but I should think that it is possible, given that most things are available through the API's. I have been told that the SDK is not as robust as the REST API, but I don't have first hand knowledge of that.

0 Karma

harry2007gsp
Path Finder

Thanks. I will then do a little more research about that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...