All Apps and Add-ons

Total Endpoints Reporting in Palo Alto Networks App is always 0

ranade
Observer

This is specifically about Palo Alto Traps (or as it's now called Cortex XDR Prevent) logs inside Splunk.  I am having a specific issue with elements of the Palo Alto Networks App dashboards showing no data.

I have Cortex XDR (Palo Alto's Cloud version of Traps EMS) sending data via TCP SSL to Splunk to a dedicated index and I see events.

In the dashboard "Endpoint Operations", "Total Endpoints Reporting" is always 0, even though other elements of that same dashboard are showing data correctly.  

When I look at the search "| tstats summariesonly=t values(log.content_version) AS log.content_version, values(log.type) AS log.type, values(log.severity) AS log.severity, values(log.dest_name) AS log.dest_name, values(log.src_host) AS log.src_host count FROM datamodel="pan_traps" WHERE nodename="log.operations" """" log.severity="*" GROUPBY _time log.log_subtype log.user | rename log.* AS * | dedup dest_name | stats dc(dest_name)" 

Everything is great until the last dedup/dc part.  "dest_name" is always null for all of my values for some reason.  So this suggests that the data that Cortex XDR sends into Splunk does not have what the add-on expects.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this and can advise a workaround or solution.

Labels (4)
0 Karma

asearson
Explorer

Hi @ranade , I'm afraid I don't have a reply for this one yet, but I'd like to get back to you once we implement it!

May I inquire if you have a link to documentation for your solution to send "Cortex XDR sending data via TCP SSL to Splunk"? Is that just a standard TCP-Input on Splunk side? 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Monitornetworkports

My Security team is indicating that Cortex-XDR is only capable of API.

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...