All Apps and Add-ons

TA-sos_win: Powershell Script Error

rturk
Builder

Hello Splunkers and/or Powershell Gurus!

I'm getting a bunch of errors when using the Splunk-on-Splunk TA for the collection of diagnostic data. I have enabled Powershell script execution, and I'm using the app as packaged deployed by a Cluster Master to an indexer.

Each of the lines below is prefixed with:

10-24-2013 08:30:06.594 +1100 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from ""C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\slave-apps\TA-sos_win\bin\sospowershell.cmd" ps_sos.ps1

The reported error:

Error formatting a string: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to 
zero and less than the size of the argument list..
At C:\Program 
Files\Splunk\etc\slave-apps\TA-sos_win\bin\powershell\ps_sos.ps1:17 char:5
 +     $CMDLINE = "{0}" -f ($CMDLINE -replace '"',"")
 +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: ({0}:String) [], RuntimeExcept 
    ion
     + FullyQualifiedErrorId : FormatError

Any & all help greatly appreciated 🙂

1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

UPDATE: The latest version of the S.o.S app and of its add-on for Windows have now been released and fix this particular issue.

Please upgrade your TA to version 2.3.2. We have made improvements in that version to address this particular error. From the release notes:

• [SUP-691] Fixed an issue where the ps_sos.ps1 scripted input produced format errors when trying to set $CMDLINE.

Do note, however, that to the best of our knowledge these errors typically bubble up when the execution of the script fails because the Get-Process cmdlet somehow fails to return output. We are still tracking down the root cause for that particular problem, which will cause ps_sos.ps1 to intermittently fail to return output.

The bug fixes in version 2.3.2 should ensure that ps_sos.ps1 will handle these errors more gracefully.

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

UPDATE: The latest version of the S.o.S app and of its add-on for Windows have now been released and fix this particular issue.

Please upgrade your TA to version 2.3.2. We have made improvements in that version to address this particular error. From the release notes:

• [SUP-691] Fixed an issue where the ps_sos.ps1 scripted input produced format errors when trying to set $CMDLINE.

Do note, however, that to the best of our knowledge these errors typically bubble up when the execution of the script fails because the Get-Process cmdlet somehow fails to return output. We are still tracking down the root cause for that particular problem, which will cause ps_sos.ps1 to intermittently fail to return output.

The bug fixes in version 2.3.2 should ensure that ps_sos.ps1 will handle these errors more gracefully.

rturk
Builder

Hi Hexx - Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Unfortunately the upgrade didn't help and we're still seeing a LOT of the above errors. Being that we know what the cause is and it's a known bug, I'll mark this as answered, but I look forward to the next release where (hopefully) it'll be fixed.

Thanks again 🙂

0 Karma

rturk
Builder

version = 2.3.1

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What version of the S.o.S TA for Windows are you running?

0 Karma

rturk
Builder

It's intermittent in nature. e.g.

index=_internal ERROR greater | rex "2013 (?[^\s]+)\s" | stats values(time_of_error)

00:30:06.232
00:42:06.072
00:42:16.605
01:30:08.017
01:30:08.235
01:50:02.871
01:55:03.419
02:10:02.950
02:10:03.575
02:15:03.380

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What version of the S.o.S TA for Windows are you running?

Also: Are these errors happening on every 5s-interval run of the scripted input or are they happening intermittently? If the latter, what seems to be the frequency?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...