All Apps and Add-ons

TA-nmon Show Zero Values

mspiewak
Explorer

Is it possible for the TA-nmon add-on to send "0" for a metric value rather than nothing? We're using the metrics index and for example when a specific disk is not busy it doesn't report any value for the os.unix.nmon.storage.diskbusy metric. We ran into a similar issue with perfmon data on Windows and there is an attribute we could add to the stanza to resolve that (showZeroValue = 1), so I'm looking to do something similar with nmon.

0 Karma
1 Solution

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi @mspiewak

I understand we are talking about the TA-metricator-for-nmon. (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3948/)

Yes, currently at the backend level, 0 values are removed before submitting to Splunk monitoring, which purpose was to avoid charging the license costs and simulating those at the SPL level.
But I appreciate it cannot always be simulated, specially on when there is a total lack of activity on this metric / device.

I have logged an enhanced request, such option will be provided in nmon.conf to allow disabling this filtering.

Kind regards,

Guilhem

View solution in original post

guilmxm
Influencer

Hello @mspiewak

A new release was published of the TA-metricator-for-nmon with the version 1.0.10

In the this new version, you can activate a new option in a local/nmon.conf which enables generating 0 value metrics, literately this avoids filtering out metrics with a 0 value. (which is the case by default)

Example:

#######################
# nmon parsers options:
#######################

# consult the documentation to get the full list of available options

# --mode fifo|colddata --> explicitly manage data in fifo/colddata
# --use_fqdn --> use the host fully qualified domain name (default)
# --silent --> minimize the processing output to save data volume (deactivated by default)
# --show_zero_values --> allows generating metrics with 0 values (default removes any metric with a zero value before it reaches the ingestion)

# In fifo mode, options are sent by the metricator_consumer.sh
# In file mode, options are sent by Splunk via the nmon_processing stanza in props.conf

nmonparser_options="--mode fifo --use_fqdn --silent --show_zero_values"

Feel free to let me know if you encounter any issue.

Guilhem

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi @mspiewak

I understand we are talking about the TA-metricator-for-nmon. (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3948/)

Yes, currently at the backend level, 0 values are removed before submitting to Splunk monitoring, which purpose was to avoid charging the license costs and simulating those at the SPL level.
But I appreciate it cannot always be simulated, specially on when there is a total lack of activity on this metric / device.

I have logged an enhanced request, such option will be provided in nmon.conf to allow disabling this filtering.

Kind regards,

Guilhem

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...