All Apps and Add-ons

Stream with TNS protocol

hychen1116

I use stream to parse my oracle DB server with tns protocol, and I enable all checkbox under tns configuration, but I can't find username and response time appearing in the raw data.
So what are the steps for configuring this correctly?
Thanks for your help!

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

pmdba
Builder

Username and response time will not appear in raw network data. Username is only transmitted at the time of the initial login and may be encrypted, and response time is calculated locally on the client or as detailed metrics information on the server, but not transmitted over the network. If you are trying to assess database performance, there is much more accurate information available in the v$ dynamic performance views, which you would access through DB Connect using SQL queries, not streams.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woaichenfeng

can you help me? I'm from a Chinese Young man,I'm very interested in splunk, are working on it, but a little problem, I want to use splunk APP for stream access to oracle TNS agreement, my stream of TNS switch is opened, a SQL statement in oracle interface operation, but did not return a result, could you tell me the steps?Although my brain is stupid, my English is very bad, but I'll try. thank you

0 Karma

pmdba
Builder

Username and response time will not appear in raw network data. Username is only transmitted at the time of the initial login and may be encrypted, and response time is calculated locally on the client or as detailed metrics information on the server, but not transmitted over the network. If you are trying to assess database performance, there is much more accurate information available in the v$ dynamic performance views, which you would access through DB Connect using SQL queries, not streams.

0 Karma

csharp_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We're working on our database protocols. Keeping track of login name is a matter of maintaining a state table and understanding which session a particular stream is tied to, and we're looking into that. The response time is a calculation of observed elapsed time waiting for a query to complete from Stream's perspective, and should be available today.

Depending on your role or configuration, it may be preferable to not read performance metrics from the database server itself. The server itself is a more reliable place to instrument, but it may be easier to grab it passively from outside the database.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...