All Apps and Add-ons

[Splunkbase App] What kinds of log that Website Monitoring used?

elbywong
Explorer

I am wondering what kind of log file (say access log etc) that Website Monitoring used for grabbing those website data.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

LukeMurphey
Champion

The app doesn't work off of logs. Instead, it includes a modular input (written in Python) that connects to the websites and measures the response times. The modular input then writes out events directly into Splunk.

I did it this way because:

1. Setup is much simpler (you don't have to track down the log files and parse them)
  2. You can monitor websites without having to install anything on the server that you want to monitor

View solution in original post

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

The app doesn't work off of logs. Instead, it includes a modular input (written in Python) that connects to the websites and measures the response times. The modular input then writes out events directly into Splunk.

I did it this way because:

1. Setup is much simpler (you don't have to track down the log files and parse them)
  2. You can monitor websites without having to install anything on the server that you want to monitor
0 Karma

elbywong
Explorer

does it mean that I only need to have the correct URL then I could monitor all the website performance?

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

Yes, the URL is all you need.

0 Karma

elbywong
Explorer

Actually, how does the "Website Monitoring" app store the ping history? So that, in case there is an index to save the history with definite message format. Because I would like to apply those data pattern to "Eventgen" app for direct import into such index.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

It creates events directly in the main index. Alternatively, you can tell the app to send the data to a custom index on the setup screen.

0 Karma

elbywong
Explorer

Okay, I got it. Thanks for your supportive answer!

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

The Splunk App for Web Analytics currently supports data from Apache and IIS logs.

0 Karma

elbywong
Explorer

But, I am wondering The Splunk app of "Website Monitoring" not "Web Analytics"...

0 Karma

deepashri_123
Motivator

Hey@elbywong,

You can try using this app:
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2699/#/details

Let me know if this helps!!

0 Karma

elbywong
Explorer

What I am referring is this https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1493/. And, under this apps, what kind of log that the app is used for monitoring the event.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...