All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk welcome.html modifications...

DTERM
Contributor

I've made the following modifications to the welcome.html file in splunk. Basically, I copied a chunk of code from the Sideview application that I'd like modify and use in the welcome.html file. The code I have below is commented fairly well, however it does not work, is it possible to do this? Thanks in advance.

<style>
.welcomediv {
float: left; 
padding-right: 15px;
padding-left: 15px; 
border-right-style: dotted;
border-right-width: 1px;
width: 30%;
}

.intro {
    font-size: 12px;
}

</style>

<div>

<p class="intro">
${_('The Splunk app comes built with some useful out of the inputs, dashboards, custom views, and saved searches. <br/>This app has the following built in functions.')}
</p>
<p>
<strong>${_('Important - all data in the app is by default in its own index named "myapp".')}</strong>

${_('To search for data be sure to include "index=myapp" in your search. ')}<a href="/en-US/app/nc/flashtimeline?q=search%20index%3Dmyapp&earliest=-30d%40d&latest=now"><%doc>TRANS: Link to an example</%doc>${_('example...')}</a>

</p>
<p>
${_('<a href="%s">> Configure Splunk</a>') % make_url('/manager/core')}
</div>

<!--  SIDEVIEW MOD STARTS HERE -->

<div style="float:left; padding-right: 15px; margin-right: 15px; border-right-style: dotted; border-right-width: 1px; width: 30%;">
<h3>${_('This application includes the following comprehensive view templates:')}</h3>
    <ul>
    <li>${_('<a href="%s">Customer 5 Minute Summary</a>') % make_url('/app/myapp/realtime_cusomer_activity')}</li>
    <li>${_('<a href="%s">Customer 1 Hour Summary</a>') % make_url('/app/myapp/customer_activity')}</li>
    </ul>
</div>

<div style="float: left;">

<module name="HTML" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col1" group="example: static pulldown ">
    <param name="html"><![CDATA[
      Here we start with a single static pulldown element, configure it to output "report" for downstream modules, and then we insert it directly into a $report$ token in a Search module.
      ]]></param>
  </module>

<module name="Pulldown" layoutPanel="panel_row2_col1" autoRun="True">
    <param name="name">selectedReport</param>
    <param name="label">Show </param>
    <param name="staticFieldsToDisplay">
      <list>
        <param name="label">Average eps</param>
        <param name="value">avg(eps)</param>
      </list>
      <list>
        <param name="label">min, max and average</param>
        <param name="value">min(eps) avg(eps) max(eps)</param>
      </list>
    </param>

<module name="Search">
      <param name="search">index=myapp source="*metrics.log" group="per_sourcetype_thruput" | stats $selectedReport$ by series</param>
      <param name="earliest">-1h</param>
      <param name="latest">now</param>

<module name="Pager">
        <param name="entityName">results</param>
        <module name="SimpleResultsTable">
          <param name="displayRowNumbers">False</param>
          <param name="entityName">results</param>
        </module>
      </module>

<module name="HTML">
        <param name="html"><![CDATA[
          the report is: <b>$selectedReport$</b><br>
          the report label is: <b>$selectedReport.label$</b><br>
          the entire search is: <b>$search$</b>
        ]]></param>
      </module>

</module>
  </module>

<!---- SIDE VIEW MOD STOPS HERE -->

</div>
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk wont evaluate the module XML when it renders the HTML. So what this will do is just serve the <module> and <param> tags straight out to the browser.

The HTML part of the include can certainly be included reliably, just not the module XML.

side note: I see you're using Sideview Utils already and you may not know that you can give the HTML module a src param instead of its html param. With src you specify the name of a file in etc/apps/<appname>/appserver/static. See docs).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

the treatment for code on answers relies on each line being indented by 4 spaces, or text being enclosed in backticks. If you paste a block of text and it includes linebreaks, it'll generally break the code-formatting, even if you were "within" a code block.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk wont evaluate the module XML when it renders the HTML. So what this will do is just serve the <module> and <param> tags straight out to the browser.

The HTML part of the include can certainly be included reliably, just not the module XML.

side note: I see you're using Sideview Utils already and you may not know that you can give the HTML module a src param instead of its html param. With src you specify the name of a file in etc/apps/<appname>/appserver/static. See docs).

0 Karma

DTERM
Contributor

I was expecting to embed a side view "Window" within the Welcome.html file. But nothing shows up afterwards. I don't see the window. Out of curiosity, why does the code appear discombobulated? It was copied into the text block. Thanks.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Please specify how it does not work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...