All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk upgrade readiness app does not load/start

ripzura

I installed v2.1.0 of the upgrade readiness app on our splunk enterprise 7.3.3 (on the searchhead cluster nodes).
When I open the app for the first time the instance_scan page opens but keeps showing a waiting throbber image. I cannot do anything else on that page.

On subsequent visits to the app I see the same throbber image but also get a error message saying:
Error reading progress for user: XXXX on host: XXXX

The user has full admin rights and I have also changed the permissions on the app to "write" for the role the user is a member of. (also tried this directly as admin user with the same result)

I directly connect to one of the searchheads in the cluster (so no load balancer or anything),I installed v2.1.0 of the upgrade readiness app on our splunk enterprise 7.3.3 (on the searchhead cluster nodes).
When I open the app for the first time the instance_scan page opens but keeps showing a waiting throbber image. I cannot do anything else on that page.

On subsequent visits to the app I see the same throbber but also get a error message saying:
Error reading progress for user: XXXX on host: XXXX

The user has full admin rights and I have also changed the permissions on the app to "write" for the role the user is a member of. (also tried this directly as admin user with the same result)

I directly connect to one of the searchheads in the cluster (so no load balancer or anything)

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rshah_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This application uses KV Store to read the updates of the scan and display that on the UI. From the error, it seems KV Store is either disabled or is not accessible. Can you try hitting the https://splunk_instance_ip_or_hostname:8089/servicesNS/nobody/upgrade_readiness_app/storage/collecti...
endpoint and provide us the response?

Replace "splunk_instance_ip_or_hostname" with you Splunk instance IP or Hostname.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rshah_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This application uses KV Store to read the updates of the scan and display that on the UI. From the error, it seems KV Store is either disabled or is not accessible. Can you try hitting the https://splunk_instance_ip_or_hostname:8089/servicesNS/nobody/upgrade_readiness_app/storage/collecti...
endpoint and provide us the response?

Replace "splunk_instance_ip_or_hostname" with you Splunk instance IP or Hostname.

0 Karma

briancronrath
Contributor

I get "Action Forbidden" when accessing that management port link, even when using the local admin user credentials as well as my own which should be admin credentials.

The odd thing is I never used to get the initial error message, it just randomly started happening and will not go away now.

0 Karma

briancronrath
Contributor

Right as I posted that I found the issue - in case anyone is curious, the server.pem file had expired on a few of our searchheads.  You can check that by running:

openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in <splunklocation>/etc/auth/server.pem

If it is expired, just rename the server.pem file to server.pem.bak<date> or something like that, and restart splunk, it will generate a new one.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

streger
Engager

Same question and issue.
https:/servicesNS/nobody/upgrade_readiness_app/storage/collections/data/pra_get_progress

returns a 404 Page not found

I am trying to run the Splunk App Readiness tool in prep of migrating from v6 to v8

rshah_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you are still only seeing a waiting throbber image can you open the browser developer tools, navigate to the Network tab within that and try reloading the page. You will see a call made to read_progress endpoint in that tab. Can you provide the response of that request here?

0 Karma

M_Radoszewski
Explorer

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but same issue here. The response is (anonymized with HOSTNAME).

1. {message: "Error reading progress for user: admin on host: HOSTNAME", success: false}
    1. message: "Error reading progress for user: admin on host: HOSTNAME"
    2. success: false
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...