All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk for Snort: How to configure a universal forwarder to monitor Snort data for indexing?

w0lverineNOP
Path Finder

I have successfully installed my universal forwarder and has a connection to Splunk. Though I am getting data (not sure if its my snort logs) in source=_internal with a host = bss (which is my host name for my Splunk forwarder) but Splunk for Snort is not indexing the data. Any help on how to properly configure a universal forwarder to send data to the correct index for Splunk for Snort would help!

I configured my forwarder inputs.conf to the following:

[default] host = bss
[monitor:///var/log/snort/snort.log.*]
disabled = false
sourcetype = snort_alert_full
source = snort

I configured my forwarder outputs.conf to the following:

[tcpout] defaultGroup =
default-auto1b-group

[tcpout:default-auto1b-group] server = 10.10.20.103:997

[tcpout-server://10.10.20.103:997]

Than I have configured my Splunk's inputs.conf to the following:

[default] host = Splunk
[splunktcp://:9997]
connection_host = bss # host_name for my forwarder
sourcetype = snort_alert_full source =
tcp:9997

disabled = 0

Splunk Web GUI:
--I have set snort's index to: snort_alert
--I have set snorts source type to: snort

And my forwarder is monitoring the correct files in snort, based of the cmd: ./splunk list monitor

Monitored Files:
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/splunk.version
/var/log/snort/snort.log.*
/var/log/snort/snort.log.1453951439

Not sure what I am doing wrong, let me know if you need anymore information to find out how I can configure my universal forwarder to send to the correct index so my Splunk for Snort app can index it?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In your forwarder outputs.conf is there a typo for the port (9997 instead of 997) ?

By mentioning Splunk's inputs.conf hope it's at receiver(indexer) . If that's the case you don't need to mention sourcetype and source. Please see below for your reference.

At forwarder side
Inputs.conf

[default] 
host = bss

[monitor:///var/log/snort/snort.log.*]
index=snort_alert
disabled = false
sourcetype = snort_alert_full
source = snort

Outputs.conf

[tcpout] 
defaultGroup =default-auto1b-group

[tcpout:default-auto1b-group] 
server = 10.10.20.103:9997

At receiver / indexer side

[default] 
   host = Splunk # it should be your receiver host name

[splunktcp://:9997]
    connection_host = bss # host_name for my forwarder [this is optional]
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

umang_solanki

Can someone please explain what is the need of configuring inputs.conf at receiver side (indexer) if the receiver port (9997) is already configured (May be through GUI) ?

0 Karma

w0lverineNOP
Path Finder

That was a typo. And yes splunk's inputs.conf is the receiver(indexer). Still unsuccessful after restarting both clients. I get data indexed still from the _internal . But it's only from the metrics.log file on the forwarder

host =bss         source=/opt/splunkforwarder/var/log/splunk/metrics.log           sourcetype = splunkd

My Forwarder Health App also sees the forwarder client but no "data coming into Splunk (Not Internal)". I have restarted my splunk, redownload splunk for snort. But I am getting this _internal error:

index=_internal NOT CASE(TcpOutputProc) source!=*metrics.log NOT (INFO DeployedServerclass) NOT (INFO DC:UpdateServerclassHandler) host=bss  _raw="01-29-2016 05:43:48.949 -0600 ERROR TcpOutputFd - Connection to host=10.10.20.103:9997 failed" | cluster showcount=t | search cluster_count=239

My interpretation: It failed to connect to the forwarder but as I use netstat -an | grep 10.10.20.103 (IP address of indexer) I do get an established connection and my nmap shows the port is open on the indexer. I also have no router or firewall between them. Maybe the information I gave you above from the _internal index will help you.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is your splunk enabled with ssl ? try telnet 10.10.20.103 9997 from forwarder and see if the connection is establlished

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...