All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk for OSSEC not working from a Remote OSSEC Server

swbradley1
Explorer

I have a working Splunk 4.2.1 server and I added Splunk for OSSEC 1.1.84 to it. I send the data from the OSSEC server over via syslog on UDP514. Splunk sees the data but nothing gets populated into the OSSEC dashboards. I edited the inputs.conf file for OSSEC so that it will only use UDP514. When I do a sourcetype=ossec* all I see are the old ossec_agent_control messages sources. The OSSEC messages are of type syslog.

How do I get it to populate the OSSEC dashboards?

thx

0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

It sounds like your OSSEC events are not being correctly sourcetyped. Anything OSSEC alerts coming in via syslog need to have a sourcetype of ossec. The simplest thing would be to edit your input and explicitly set the sourcetype to ossec:

• Go into the Manager
  • Go to Data Inputs -> UDP
  • Click on port 514
  • From the 'Set sourcetype' dropdown, choose manual.
  • In the box, type ossec
  • Click Save.

Note that this will set the sourcetype for all data coming in on port 514/udp. If you have other syslog events coming in, the simplest thing is to set up a separate port for OSSEC (port 10002 is a common choice).

Alternately, you could set up a transform to override the sourcetype for matching events.

swbradley1
Explorer

That answer explained and it fixed my problem. thank you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...