All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk for AD - Group Policy Changes Query

BP9906
Builder

Hello,
Has anyone come across an issue where the Group Policy Change Management information wont load?

I discovered its because the "Object_Name" is not a DN value sometimes.

When I run this:

eventtype=msad-ad-access Object_Type="groupPolicyContainer" | eval adminuser=src_nt_domain."\".src_user | eval Object_Name=replace(Object_Name,"}CN","},CN") | stats count values(Object_Name) by host

I get variations like this:
CN={6426A7DE-BDD3-4124-AD09-93782F200DE0},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=domain
{44e14ec4-6218-40bd-bbc1-bf16d5addb58}

Why would that be?

I confirmed my DS log entries sometimes have either notation even for the same server.

Thank you for your help.

1 Solution

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've not seen the GUID version before. I normally see the full DN - either complete or missing a comma (which is handled by the eval statement). As a result, we'll have to deal with this as a bug and fix it in a future release.

I've filed this in our bug tracking system.

View solution in original post

hvandenb
Path Finder

Do we know when this might be fixed? We have the same issue where the Group Policy is a GUID in the logs but have a full DN. Also this is generating the following error.

External search command 'ldapfetch' returned error code 1. First 1000 (of 2586) bytes of script output: "Object_Name,mv_Object_Name,displayName,mv_displayName,Access_Mask,mv_Access_Mask,Accesses,mv_Accesses,Account_Domain,mv_Account_Domain,Account_Name,mv_Account_Name,Caller_Domain,mv_Caller_Domain,Caller_Machine_Name,mv_Caller_Machine_Name,Caller_User_Name,mv_Caller_User_Name,CategoryString,mv_CategoryString,Client_Address,mv_Client_Address,Client_Domain,mv_Client_Domain,Client_Machine_Name,mv_Client_Machine_Name,Client_User_Name,mv_Client_User_Name,ComputerName,mv_ComputerName,Domain,mv_Domain,EventCode,mv_EventCode,EventType,mv_EventType,Handle_ID,mv_Handle_ID,Image_File_Name,mv_Image_File_Name,Keywords,mv_Keywords,LogName,mv_LogName,Logon_ID,mv_Logon_ID,Message,mv_Message,New_Account_Name,mv_New_Account_Name,New_Domain,mv_New_Domain,Object_Server,mv_Object_Server,Object_Type,mv_Object_Type,OpCode,mv_OpCode,Operation_Type,mv_Operation_Type,Parameter_1,mv_Parameter_1,Parameter_2,mv_Parameter_2,Primary_Domain,__mv_Primary_Do"
ERROR: com.unboundid.ldap.sdk.LDAPException: The provided string could not be decoded as a DN because no equal sign was found after the RDN attribute '{927ED781-C19A-4282-9E34-CE6C1116D6E3}

arber
Communicator

Is there any fix for this problem ..we have the same issue

0 Karma

selim
Path Finder

Hello, did anyone got a solution for this? I'm facing the same issue.

0 Karma

BP9906
Builder

2008 R2 OS, '2003 server' domain and forest level.

0 Karma

jbernt_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What server Operating System, Platform (x86/x64), domain and forest levels are you seeing this on?

0 Karma

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've not seen the GUID version before. I normally see the full DN - either complete or missing a comma (which is handled by the eval statement). As a result, we'll have to deal with this as a bug and fix it in a future release.

I've filed this in our bug tracking system.

mbalasko
Explorer

I seem to get the same thing- Trying to figure out a work around as the AD guys would love to see Group Policy Changes.

ERROR: com.unboundid.ldap.sdk.LDAPException: The provided string could not be decoded as a DN because no equal sign was found after the RDN attribute '{6504ceb9-3800-474d-b76e-7a4acf73cf4c}'.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...