All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk app for active directory event types not working

systemsatpayzon
Path Finder

none of the event types in eventtypes.conf under \Splunk\etc\apps\Splunk_for_ActiveDirectory\default\ work in search. For example if i search for "eventtype=wineventlog-security" i get "Unable to find an eventtype wineventlog-security" but if i instead search for the underlying search string "index=main source=WinEventLog:Security" i get a lot of events. it looks like all eventtypes under "splunk_TA_windows" are searchable but non of the eventtypes under plunk_for_ActiveDirectory.

What could be wrong

0 Karma
1 Solution

systemsatpayzon
Path Finder

I solved it after a day of troubleshooting 🙂 the problem was that the eventtypes where only accessible inside the app in splunk web, but i used the standard searchapp for testing. after searching in the search app inside splunk app for active directory it works like a charm

View solution in original post

0 Karma

systemsatpayzon
Path Finder

I solved it after a day of troubleshooting 🙂 the problem was that the eventtypes where only accessible inside the app in splunk web, but i used the standard searchapp for testing. after searching in the search app inside splunk app for active directory it works like a charm

0 Karma

sdaniels
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sounds like in the search app you would just need to explicitly specify the index for the AD data. (index=x eventtype=y)

The TAs for Splunk App for Active Directory log events into one of three indices:

• perfmon = All performance data
  • winevents = All Windows Event Log data
  • msad = Everything else
0 Karma

jbernt_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello. Have you restarted Splunk between removing/re-adding the Splunk for Active Directory app?

0 Karma

systemsatpayzon
Path Finder

using btool i can see that settings from eventtypes.conf in \Splunk_for_ActiveDirectory\default are being consumed by splunk, how come i cannot search for those eventtypes??

0 Karma

systemsatpayzon
Path Finder

previously i had the splunk app for windows installed, but i have deleted it today. could that cause any problems?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...