All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk alert on file not found in 1 index when compared between 2 indexes

joshimeister
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hello,

So i am trying to create an alert based on logs from 2 different indexes. Basically what im trying to alert on is if a zip file/zip files from 1 index makes it to a 2nd different index, if it does not, i want it to alert.

I have the following splunk query that combines both indexes but it's not completely accurate because when i run the indexes separately, im getting the zip files in question to appear in both indexes when in reality, i was expecting the zip files to appear in index 1 and not in index 2.

Splunk query combining both indexes

index=index_1 OR index=index_2 sourcetype="index_1_logs" OR sourcetype="index_2_logs" "ftp.com" OR "External command has been executed" "*.zip" 
| eval results = if(match(index_1_zipfile_field,index_2_zipfile_field), "file made it through", "file did not make it through") 
| table results index_1_zipfile_field index_2_zipfile_field 
| search index_1_zipfile_field=* 
| dedup index_1_zipfile_field

Results show as shown below showing no results under index_2_zipfile_field giving the illusion that the zip files never made it through to index 2:

resultsindex_1_zipfile_fieldindex_2_zipfile_field
file did not make it throughfgfbf-fgfgfg-wewsd-dfsf.zip 
file did not make it throughghghh-rtrtr-trtrt-weqe.zip 

...but when i check index 2 and look up the results from the table above, i see the zip file made it through so i am unsure what im doing wrong here

index=index_2 sourcetype=index_2_logs "ftp.com" "*fgfbf-fgfgfg-wewsd-dfsf.zip*"
| table index_2_zipfield_field
| dedup index_2_zipfield_field 

results:

index_2_zipfield_field
fgfbf-fgfgfg-wewsd-dfsf.zip
ghghh-rtrtr-trtrt-weqe.zip

Hopefully i made sense. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| stats count by zipfile_field
| where count = 1
0 Karma

joshimeister
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi @ITWhisperer thanks for the response but where exactly would that fit in the bigger query that I posted? 

I have also tried the following but it's still not accurate

replaced the original long query:

<base query>
| eval results = if(match(index_1_zipfile_field,index_2_zipfile_field), "file made it through", "file did not make it through") 
| table results index_1_zipfile_field index_2_zipfile_field 
| search index_1_zipfile_field=* 

...with this one:

<base query> 
| where isnull(index_2_zipfile_field)
| table index_1_zipfile_field index_2_zipfile_field

...but still not there and not accurate

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index=index_1 OR index=index_2 sourcetype="index_1_logs" OR sourcetype="index_2_logs" "ftp.com" OR "External command has been executed" "*.zip" 
| stats count by zipfile_field
| where count = 1

I am assuming (since you didn't share any sample events) that events from both indexes have a field called zipfile_field.

Splunk searches work on a pipeline of events, each command in the pipeline processes the events and passes the results onto the next command in the chain. An event from index_1 will not have fields from index_2 unless you are doing something to combine them, which you don't appear to be doing. This is why you aren't getting a match between index_1_zipfile_field and index_2_zipfile_field. In each event, one of these fields will have a value and the other will be null.

If a zipfile value only appears in one index, then counting by the zipfile_field across both indexes (which is what the stats command is doing) will find instances of values in the zipfile_field which only appear in one index (which is what the where command is doing).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...