All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk UF inputs for XenApp

cgisplunk
Path Finder

Hi everyone,
The deployment docs do not mention if I should enable ANY inputs in Splunk UF during the installation. I installed the UF and TAs but my perf and alerts indices are empty. Do I need to enabled any inputs in UF at the install time?
Thanks,
S.

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sounds like the PowerShell execution policy may not be set. Are you able to manually execute the PowerShell scripts found in the \bin\powershell folder?

The alerts index is populated by saved searches based on the data in the xenapp* indexes, so no data will show up there until the other issue is corrected.

0 Karma

cgisplunk
Path Finder

jconger,
Yes, i installed PowerShell 2.0 on W2K3 boxes that run XenApp 4.5.
The policy is set to remotesigned on all of them.
I can execute most of the scripts locally, for example on the Citrix Licensing host, but some scripts fail to run. For example, this one for session stats:

PS C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\TA-XA5-Server\bin\powershell> .\GetICASessionStat5.ps1
Get-WmiObject : Invalid class
At C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\TA-XA5-Server\bin\powershell\GetICASessionStat5.ps1:2 char:29
+ $ICASessions = Get-WMIOBject <<<< -Class Win32_PerfFormattedData_CitrixICA_ICASession
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], ManagementException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMIManagementException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand
<<<
Looks like it's missing smth in WMI.
S.

0 Karma

cgisplunk
Path Finder

Correction:
yes, outputs.conf on forwarding hosts do have the proper configs:
"
[tcpout]
defaultGroup = host_9997

[tcpout:host_9997]
server = host:9997

[tcpout-server://host:9997]"

0 Karma

cgisplunk
Path Finder

sdaniels,
We deploy manually so far, so the outputs.conf is irrelevant to us at this point.
I do receive data into the App but very little, cannot even see the Zone Info and the License report keeps giving me the " The lookup table 'citrix_license_type' does not exist." even though it does exist and I gave it even extra file & app permissions. Nothing under Session or Client & Device Stats.

0 Karma

sdaniels
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you look at the TA-XA5-Server (or 60/65) the inputs.conf has most of the inputs enabled by default. So, assuming you have the correct ones installed it should start brining back data from the Xen Servers.

I know the docs confuse the name but have you completed this step to make sure data is getting sent back properly to the indexer?

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/XenApp/latest/DeployXenApp/Installtheadd-ons#Edit_the_TA-Forwar...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...