All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Support for Active Directory: How to configure the add-on to use STARTTLS as the certificate?

howyagoin
Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to get the Splunk Support for Active Directory (SA-LDAPsearch) to work with our Active Directory installation, I'm running into a brick wall with the use of STARTTLS and getting this add-on to trust the certificate chain - there seems to be some difference between the documentation for this add-on and changes to Splunk 6.5. It's not clear what needs to go in what stanza for the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/SA-ldapsearch/local directory, and in which file.

It was a real pain getting the LDAP server certificate for STARTTLS in the first place (had to resort to wireshark), but now that I have the PEM for that, and I can get the entire certificate chain/intermediates, where do they actually go? $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth, and then a pointer to a file in the SA-ldapsearch/local/ssl.conf somewhere, or the server.conf?

I've tried putting this in the ssl.conf for the add-on:

[sslConfig]

sslRootCAPath = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/ldap.pem
sslVerifyServerCert = false

However that doesn't seem to work - note that the documentation points to a different attribute than the Splunk 6.5.x documentation says works.

When I run ldapsearch from OpenLDAP on the command line, I specify a "-Z" which gets authentication to work, however, this also generates an error - additional info: TLS: hostname does not match CN in peer certificate. Using -ZZ will break ldapsearch (CLI) entirely due to this -- I'm hoping that by not verifying the server certificate in the SA that I can get around this issue..

Anyway, does anyone know what the current / accurate / right way is to get this add-on to deal with the STARTTLS within the LDAP(S) and PEM files, paths, etc?

Coming fast and furious with the updates to this question - sorry. I may have made a bit more progress, but, am starting to wonder if the issue is that this SA can't support STARTTLS and only supports TLS/SSL on the TCP connection to the LDAP server itself. Current error is:

ldapserver.domain.com: Could not access the directory service at ldaps://ldapserver.domain.com:389: socket ssl wrapping error: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

Our Active Directory server is running LDAP on 389, but requires STARTTLS (which is what is working with command-line ldapsearch)...

0 Karma
1 Solution

howyagoin
Contributor

If you stare at a problem long enough, you can magically solve it.

I've "hacked" a solution which works for me, and I hope it helps others. I had to edit the ./bin/packages/ldap3/core/connection.py in the SA-ldapsearch to add:

auto_bind=AUTO_BIND_TLS_BEFORE_BIND,

This made sure that the STARTTLS was running. Adding this to ldap3.Connection in bin/packages/app/connection_pool.py, didn't seem to cut it. Indeed, that resulted in:

2017-02-18 12:40:11,539, Level=ERROR, Pid=31089, File=search_command.py, Line=282, Abnormal exit: Failed to retrieve schema information from the directory system agent at ldap://ldapserver.domain.com:389 - cleartext

There was one other change that was required for me to get this to work, and that WAS by editing the connection_pool.py to have:
raise_exceptions=False, in ldap3.Connection. The default here was True.

If I don't do that, then I get:

2017-02-18 12:05:54,664, Level=ERROR, Pid=15576, File=search_command.py, Line=282, Abnormal exit: LDAPNoSuchObjectResult - 32 - noSuchObject - CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=stuff,DC=ldapserver,DC=domain,DC=com - 0000208D: NameErr: DSID-0315270B, problem 2001 (NO_OBJECT), data 0, best match of:
    'CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=stuff,DC=ldapserver,DC=domain,DC=com'
 - searchResDone - None

Not sure what's triggering that, but, indeed, that sort of schema check fails, and I haven't figured out what may need to be modified to make this error go away without disabling the raise_exceptions default.

Happy to hear of other/better solutions to this, but, this got me going again.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Amandeepsin

I am stuck here too.. Let me know if this works for you

0 Karma

howyagoin
Contributor

If you stare at a problem long enough, you can magically solve it.

I've "hacked" a solution which works for me, and I hope it helps others. I had to edit the ./bin/packages/ldap3/core/connection.py in the SA-ldapsearch to add:

auto_bind=AUTO_BIND_TLS_BEFORE_BIND,

This made sure that the STARTTLS was running. Adding this to ldap3.Connection in bin/packages/app/connection_pool.py, didn't seem to cut it. Indeed, that resulted in:

2017-02-18 12:40:11,539, Level=ERROR, Pid=31089, File=search_command.py, Line=282, Abnormal exit: Failed to retrieve schema information from the directory system agent at ldap://ldapserver.domain.com:389 - cleartext

There was one other change that was required for me to get this to work, and that WAS by editing the connection_pool.py to have:
raise_exceptions=False, in ldap3.Connection. The default here was True.

If I don't do that, then I get:

2017-02-18 12:05:54,664, Level=ERROR, Pid=15576, File=search_command.py, Line=282, Abnormal exit: LDAPNoSuchObjectResult - 32 - noSuchObject - CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=stuff,DC=ldapserver,DC=domain,DC=com - 0000208D: NameErr: DSID-0315270B, problem 2001 (NO_OBJECT), data 0, best match of:
    'CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=stuff,DC=ldapserver,DC=domain,DC=com'
 - searchResDone - None

Not sure what's triggering that, but, indeed, that sort of schema check fails, and I haven't figured out what may need to be modified to make this error go away without disabling the raise_exceptions default.

Happy to hear of other/better solutions to this, but, this got me going again.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...