All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Stream - Are flows cached until a Template ID is received

TF1857
Loves-to-Learn Lots

We are running Splunk Stream 7.3. In _internal sourcetype=stream:log we see the following warning messages:

" NetFlowDecoder::decodeFlow Unable to decode flow set data. No template with id 256 received for observation domain id xyz from device 172.x.y.z . Dropping flow data set of size xxxx..."

Netflow exporters are configured to send out their templates every so many seconds. Eventually the netflow exporter will send the template and the warning messages will stop.

My question is whether that data actually dropped or is it cached until the template is received? Am I losing that data? Similar applications that collect netflow (Cisco Stealthwatch, Wireshark) will cache the data until they receive the template. This has implications when load balancing several hundred exporters to an array of Independent Stream Forwarders in order to determine if session persistence is necessary.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...