All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows: Why does the universal forwarder local inputs.conf show [WinEventLog://Security] as disabled?

fletch13
Explorer

I'm working on getting the Universal Forwarder install switches set so we can deploy this with SCCM on Windows servers (2012,2008, etc). Below is my CLI I'm using and running as Admin on the device:

c:\temp\splunkforwarder-6.2.2-255606-x64-release.msi RECEIVING_INDEXER="x.x.x.x:9997" WINEVENTLOG_SEC_ENABLE=1 WINEVENTLOG_SYS_ENABLE=0 WINEVENTLOG_APP_ENABLE=0 AGREETOLICENSE=Yes /quiet /norestart /lv "c:\temp\splunkinstall.txt"

Issue is the splunk_TA_windows local inputs.conf (below) shows that security is disabled even though in the install i have it equal "1" & others equaling "0". If I'm correct, "0" means disabled and "1" means enabled. Plus, i'm not getting Security event, but i am getting other events (apps, sys) into splunk. Am I doing something wrong?

Inputs.conf -- file

[WinEventLog://Application]
[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
[WinEventLog://System]
0 Karma
1 Solution

masonmorales
Influencer

Issue is the splunk_TA_windows local
inputs.conf (below) shows that
security is disabled even though in
the install i have it equal "1" &
others equaling "0". If im correct "0"
means disabled and "1" means enabled.
0 is equivalent to "False" and 1 is equivalent to "True", so a setting of disabled = 0 (false) means enabled in inputs.conf. This example is enabled:

disabled = 0

Regardless of what the installer does, you can go in after the fact, make changes to stanzas in inputs.conf and say disabled=0 (i.e. make it enabled) wherever you want, and then restart Splunk for it to take effect.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Issue is the splunk_TA_windows local
inputs.conf (below) shows that
security is disabled even though in
the install i have it equal "1" &
others equaling "0". If im correct "0"
means disabled and "1" means enabled.
0 is equivalent to "False" and 1 is equivalent to "True", so a setting of disabled = 0 (false) means enabled in inputs.conf. This example is enabled:

disabled = 0

Regardless of what the installer does, you can go in after the fact, make changes to stanzas in inputs.conf and say disabled=0 (i.e. make it enabled) wherever you want, and then restart Splunk for it to take effect.

0 Karma

fletch13
Explorer

If the installer switch was "WINEVENTLOG_SEC_DISABLE=X" instead of "WINEVENTLOG_SEC_ENABLE=" which would
match the inputs.conf file things would have made more sense. For me at least but im new and still learner the Splunk way.
Either way i got it and i understand. Thanks.

0 Karma

fletch13
Explorer

I think i understand the logic by putting "WINEVENTLOG_SEC_ENABLE=1" makes the "disable =0" (which means false , "do collect") in the inputs.conf file which actually means enable. I guess i could assume if there isn't an "disable=x" then it will use the default inputs.conf file setting which is "disable = 1" (which means true, "don't collect")

Is this the Splunk way of thinking?

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

So, you are talking about two different things here, but the meaning of 1=True and 0=False does not change.

Running the installer, WINEVENTLOG_SEC_ENABLE=1 is indeed enabled.

In inputs.conf

disabled = 0 

Also means enabled. Does that help?

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Regardless of what you are doing with the installer though, you can make changes to stanzas in inputs.conf and say disabled=0 (making it enabled) wherever you want, and then restart Splunk for it to take effect.

0 Karma

fletch13
Explorer

So are you saying in order to collect windows security events i need to have this "WINEVENTLOG_SEC_ENABLE=0" which is false but means enabled?

For what i read on splunk documentation is that in order to collect events it has to equal "1" which is true. So who is right?

(http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/Forwarding/DeployaWindowsdfviathecommandline)
--------------------- Splunk Documentation snippet ----------------------------
"Install the universal forwarder, enable indexing of the Windows security and system event logs, and run the installer in silent mode
You might do this to collect just the Security and System event logs through a "fire-and-forget" installation.

msiexec.exe /i splunkuniversalforwarder_x86.msi RECEIVING_INDEXER="indexer1:9997" WINEVENTLOG_SEC_ENABLE=1 WINEVENTLOG_SYS_ENABLE=1 AGREETOLICENSE=Yes /quiet"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- end of splunk doc --------------------

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...