All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Security Essentials: Scheduled Tasks

BluFalcon
Engager

I hope this is the right place to post this if not please let me know where to post it. There are multiple use-cases for Task Scheduler in the SSE app, my question pertains to all that are based on EventID=4698

None of these searches seem to work in my environment out of box, I checked and my Windows TA is up to date. Not sure if there is another TA required? Here is on as an example and how I fixed it:

`wineventlog_security` EventCode=4698
| xmlkv Message
| search Command IN ("*\\users\\public\\*", "*\\programdata\\*", "*\\temp\\*", "*\\Windows\\Tasks\\*", "*\\appdata\\*")
| stats count min(_time) as firstTime max(_time) as lastTime by dest, Task_Name, Command, Author, Enabled, Hidden
| `security_content_ctime(firstTime)`
| `security_content_ctime(lastTime)`
| `winevent_scheduled_task_created_within_public_path_filter`

To fix this query I ended up changing line 2 to:
| xmlkv TaskContent

And line 4 to:
| stats count min(_time) as firstTime max(_time) as lastTime by dest, TaskName, Command, Author, Enabled, Hidden, Arguments

I dont know if I am missing something or if this is broken out of the box, if so is there somewhere to report this?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First, make sure you have the most recent version of the app.  If the errors still exist, file a case with Splunk since that is a supported app.  See https://splunkcommunities.force.com/customers/apex/SubmitCase

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

BluFalcon
Engager

@richgalloway thank you.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First, make sure you have the most recent version of the app.  If the errors still exist, file a case with Splunk since that is a supported app.  See https://splunkcommunities.force.com/customers/apex/SubmitCase

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...