All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Mobile (Cloud Gateway) Login

jbullough
Path Finder

I'm trying to use the Mobile App. I have it installed just fine, but when I got to register a device I get prompted to login. I'm using Saml for auth, so I don't have a local Username in Splunk Enterprise. I've tried the admin user and it won't accept that user. How do I get past this step?

alt text

Labels (2)
1 Solution

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Currently SAML isn't supported for auth so you'll have to create a separate Splunk user unfortunately.

View solution in original post

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Tying up loose ends on this thread. Splunk Cloud Gateway version 1.9.0 or later with Splunk Enterprise version 8.0.0 or later, you can set up SAML authentication for your users.

Details here in the docs:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Gateway/1.12.1/Installation/SAMLauth

0 Karma

markbarber21
Path Finder

This is true for Splunk Enterprise. Splunk Cloud does not have a timeline for this support.

hansuleberg
Path Finder

Me too.
WE just get our Splunk Cloud stack upgraded to version 8.0.2.
Just wrote a support ticket to splunk to get an answer on how to get his Scripted SAML with Azure AD also working with Splunk Cloud Gateway.

0 Karma

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Currently SAML isn't supported for auth so you'll have to create a separate Splunk user unfortunately.

natalienguyenme
Explorer

Any update on SAML support? I'd rather not use a local account.

0 Karma

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for all the questions. SAML is still a priority but as it were the original timeline slipped and we are looking at early Q1 2020. The one caveat to mobile SAML support is that you'll need to be on Splunk 8. There is a technical limitation in older versions of Splunk that prevents mobile clients from properly authenticating through SAML.

0 Karma

brettwilliams
Path Finder

Where is SAML in the roadmap for the gateway? Not having SAML is a show-stopper for making this generally available to users. If SAML is too tall of an order for the short term, what about an automated shadow account creator/deleter thingie? Local shadow accounts will be easier to sell if they can be bound to actual users and essentially inherit their rights (or lack of rights when they are taken away).

markbarber21
Path Finder

Our or is also dependent on SAML only, and this limitation makes Mobile unusable.
Would love to know when this will be fixed.

0 Karma

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Brett, the short answer is that SAML support in mobile is a priority and on the road map.

0 Karma

markbarber21
Path Finder

I just created this Splunk Idea, if everyone would please vote on it!

https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/CONNID-I-22

0 Karma

hijacob
Communicator

Hi @casingc_splunk
do you have more information about the road map? I am waiting for the SAML support in mobile too.
Thank you for your help!
Best wishes
Jacob

0 Karma

brettwilliams
Path Finder

Cool. So... by .conf19? Pretty please earlier than that?

0 Karma

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The intention is definitely for before .conf19

0 Karma

madcitygeek
Explorer

Any sign of SAML support? .conf19 came and went and we got support for MobileIron... but no SAML that I can see.

0 Karma

joshhighet
Engager

plus1 on SAML2 auth to bind to the Splunk Cloud Gateway. This is a show-stopper for us adopting the Mobile App internally. Would be great to understand timelines since .conf19 has been and gone

0 Karma

locklangdon
Engager

+1 for SAML 100% required for my org as well.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...