All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Eventgen | Count of events generated

VivekVenudasan
Engager

Hello fellow Splunkers,

I'm using Splunk Eventgen for simulating some data records that are required to test certain queries. I want to generate 1000 events (each event corresponds to a unique service Id represented using a field svcId) in an interval of 5 minutes. Therefore I expect 1000 svcIds to be generated every 5minutes with one and only one event per svcId in each 5 minute interval. However when I implemented this using a sample app with the required eventgen.conf and a sample record I see that there are 3 records  generated per svcId within every 5 minute interval . 

Based on the data observed from the logs in the eventgen code , I think modinput code is spawning three threads by default and each thread is generating data independently based on the eventgent.conf inputs. I have played around with some of the other settings in the eventgen.conf like maxIntervalsBeforeFlush, maxQueueSize, delay etc , but so far unsuccessful .Not sure what am I doing wrong here.

Appreciate the help from the gurus here , who can help me understand what is being done wrong here. Thanks .

Below are the configurations that I use for my test app

eventgen.conf

[seo]
sampletype = csv
interval = 300
count = 1000
outputMode = splunkstream

token.0.token = (timeRecorded=\d+)000,
token.0.replacementType = timestamp
token.0.replacement = %s

token.1.token = (svcId=\d+)
token.1.replacementType = integerid
token.1.replacement = 1000

token.2.token = lag-105:355.(\d+)
token.2.replacementType = integerid
token.2.replacement = 1000

token.3.token = (policerId=2)
token.3.replacementType = static
token.3.replacement = 2

token.4.token = (timeCaptured=\d+)000,
token.4.replacementType = timestamp
token.4.replacement = %s

token.5.token = (allOctetsDropped=\d+)
token.5.replacementType = static
token.5.replacement = 0

token.6.token = (allOctetsForwarded=\d+),
token.6.replacementType = random
token.6.replacement = integer[1000000:9999999]

token.7.token = (allOctetsOffered=\d+),
token.7.replacementType = static
token.7.replacement = 0

Sample file (seo)

index,host,source,sourcetype,"_raw"
"main","test_host2","test_source","test_src_type","timeRecorded=1611533616000,svcId=13088157,0,lag-105:355.1513,policerId=2,timeCaptured=1611535424000,,,,,allOctetsDropped=0,allOctetsForwarded=2924133555698,allOctetsOffered=292713155698,,,,,minimal"

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

VivekVenudasan
Engager

I have found the reason behind this. My splunk instance is having search heads in a cluster. There are 3 searchheads in the cluster . So when the eventgen & the custom bundle is deployed it got deployed to all 3 search head members. By default they custom bundle app is enabled in all 3 search heads, therefore events were generated from all 3 search heads. Hence those 3 duplicate records!!!

It wasnt obvious to me until I changed the host to "localhost" instead of the custom value that I had before (test_host2)! 

So to resolve this issue, once the app is deployed into the SH members, i manually logged into the 2 search head servers and disabled the custom app locally in them and left it enabled in only one of them and then did a debug refresh .  Happy days afterwards!!!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

VivekVenudasan
Engager

I have found the reason behind this. My splunk instance is having search heads in a cluster. There are 3 searchheads in the cluster . So when the eventgen & the custom bundle is deployed it got deployed to all 3 search head members. By default they custom bundle app is enabled in all 3 search heads, therefore events were generated from all 3 search heads. Hence those 3 duplicate records!!!

It wasnt obvious to me until I changed the host to "localhost" instead of the custom value that I had before (test_host2)! 

So to resolve this issue, once the app is deployed into the SH members, i manually logged into the 2 search head servers and disabled the custom app locally in them and left it enabled in only one of them and then did a debug refresh .  Happy days afterwards!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...