All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect: Is there documentation on how to create a dashboard and visualizations for long running SQL queries?

pprakash2
Explorer

Hi,

May I please know if there is any documentation to create dashboards, graphs etc, for desired SQL queries? I've connected the app to an MSSQL database. I want to create a dashboard for long running queries. Any suggestions?

0 Karma

ryanoconnor
Builder

You might benefit from using the following add-on:

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2648/#/overview

This should give you plenty of information regarding performance of your MSSQL database.

pprakash2
Explorer

Thanks ryanconnor. I have a sql query which gives me list of long running queries. Below is the query.

Can I represent this output in line graph, if yes, how can I do it? Please help me

SELECT TOP 100
    qs.total_elapsed_time / qs.execution_count / 1000000.0 AS average_seconds,
    qs.total_elapsed_time / 1000000.0 AS total_seconds,
    qs.execution_count,
    SUBSTRING (qt.text,qs.statement_start_offset/2, 
         (CASE WHEN qs.statement_end_offset = -1 
            THEN LEN(CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX), qt.text)) * 2 
          ELSE qs.statement_end_offset END - qs.statement_start_offset)/2) AS individual_query,
    o.name AS object_name,
    DB_NAME(qt.dbid) AS database_name
  FROM sys.dm_exec_query_stats qs
    CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(qs.sql_handle) as qt
    LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.objects o ON qt.objectid = o.object_id
where qt.dbid = DB_ID()
  ORDER BY average_seconds DESC;
0 Karma

tmuth_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It might help if you can post a csv of the output of the above query for those of us who don't have an active SQL Server DB handy.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...