All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect: How to troubleshoot why I'm getting "Login failed for user ' '" trying to connect to MS SQL?

brent_weaver
Builder

I am trying to get Splunk DB Connect to work to no avail. I have verified 100% that the account I am using is valid and can in fact connect to MSSQL. It is a domain admin account and is not in sql or local on the sql machine. (Maybe this matters)

The following is the message I get when I set it up:

Validating connection with URL [jdbc:sqlserver://172.1.51.41:1433;databaseName=SolarWindsQorion;selectMethod=cursor] failed: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException:com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Login failed for user ''. ClientConnectionId:c3af6b9c-5eeb-46b4-b87b-12a678e27d73

What am I missing? I [think] I have followed the documentation. I have to say that the documentation makes my head spin, nothing flows, sending you to a bunch of other links.

ANY help is MUCH appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There was a bug in DBX v2 in versions before June 4th, 2015 where you couldn't use pass-through authentication, so 'mydomain\myuser' simply would not work. You had to create a SQL user called 'myuser' and give it appropriate permissions. Or update to a newer version.

From their release notes:
2015-06-04 DBX-1694 Connecting to Microsoft SQL Server did not work in Windows Authentication mode

If that is not the issue, please see the comment by that brilliant guy Rich7177 above. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Could you paste in your inputs.conf stanza?

0 Karma

brent_weaver
Builder

I am not even to the point where I can use inputs.conf. I cannot even get this setup to simply connect, so there is no inputs.conf.

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There was a bug in DBX v2 in versions before June 4th, 2015 where you couldn't use pass-through authentication, so 'mydomain\myuser' simply would not work. You had to create a SQL user called 'myuser' and give it appropriate permissions. Or update to a newer version.

From their release notes:
2015-06-04 DBX-1694 Connecting to Microsoft SQL Server did not work in Windows Authentication mode

If that is not the issue, please see the comment by that brilliant guy Rich7177 above. Thanks!

brent_weaver
Builder

This issue has been solved by just using local sql account. Once I set this up all worked perfectly, so you guys are right, windows auth does not work in db conn v2.

Thank you all for your help.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...