All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect: How to specify authentication for a custom JDBC driver for Hive?

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have used Hunk + Hive. It works okay on highly partitioned data but we have one particular database that is not highly partitioned and very slow to search with Hunk + Hive.

I am instead trying Splunk DB Connect + our company JDBC driver for Hive. I have run into an authentication problem. Our authentication is kerberos and I have run kinit before and can see with klist that we have credentials.

The rpc.log says:

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Could not open client transport with JDBC Uri: jdbc:hive2://myhiveserver:50515/mydbname;sasl.qop=auth;principal=hive/myhiveserver@mydomain: GSS initiate failed
        at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveConnection.openTransport(HiveConnection.java:238)
        at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveConnection.<init>(HiveConnection.java:175)
        at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver.connect(HiveDriver.java:105)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.util.DriverDataSource.getConnection(DriverDataSource.java:95)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.util.DriverDataSource.getConnection(DriverDataSource.java:101)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.PoolBase.newConnection(PoolBase.java:316)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.HikariPool.checkFailFast(HikariPool.java:518)
        ... 33 more
Caused by: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: GSS initiate failed
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.sendAndThrowMessage(TSaslTransport.java:232)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.open(TSaslTransport.java:316)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslClientTransport.open(TSaslClientTransport.java:37)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.thrift.client.TUGIAssumingTransport$1.run(TUGIAssumingTransport.java:52)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.thrift.client.TUGIAssumingTransport$1.run(TUGIAssumingTransport.java:49)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:422)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1694)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.thrift.client.TUGIAssumingTransport.open(TUGIAssumingTransport.java:49)
        at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveConnection.openTransport(HiveConnection.java:211)
        ... 39 more

I tested with beeline using the following and was successful (note the anon anon setting)

connect jdbc:hive2://hiveserver:50515/default;sasl.qop=auth;principal=hive/hiveserver@mydomain anon anon org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver

Note: I did have to copy (a random collection of) jar files into the /opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/lib to even get to the GSS error. hive-exec.jar, hive-common.jar and others.

1) what do others do for kerberos for Splunk DB Connect?

2) in the identities file, what do I put for username and password if the authentication is really in a keytab?

0 Karma
1 Solution

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So the real trick for me with the JDBC driver and Hive was to have these entries in the inputs.conf file. Without the -Djavax line using Kerberos did not work.

[rpcstart://default]
javahome = <path to my java>
useSSL = 0
options = -Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false  

And for my user and Kerberos password, in identities.conf I omitted the password.

[mydb]
use_win_auth = 0
username = user@Mydomain.com
disabled = 0

View solution in original post

kc64645
Explorer

Hi, Were you able to get Kerberos authentication working with Splunk DB connect? I am stuck on similar issue and using DB Connect 3.2. I already have setup db_connection_types.conf and added Cloudera driver file HiveJDBC41.jar under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So the real trick for me with the JDBC driver and Hive was to have these entries in the inputs.conf file. Without the -Djavax line using Kerberos did not work.

[rpcstart://default]
javahome = <path to my java>
useSSL = 0
options = -Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false  

And for my user and Kerberos password, in identities.conf I omitted the password.

[mydb]
use_win_auth = 0
username = user@Mydomain.com
disabled = 0

Path Finder

Hi @burwell,
I'm having a really bad time trying to configure Splunk to use a Kerberos Keytab to authenticate my Impala connection. I'm able to get it working with a temporary kerberos ticket (kinit) but for our use case we need to use a keytab file. You mentioned keytab in a few of your comments, did you get it working with a keytab, or are you only using a cached ticket?
Adam

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @606866581 yes we use keytab for Hunk everywhere and have not had an issue.

In my provider I have these settings (amongst others)

vix.hadoop.security.authentication = kerberos
vix.java.security.krb5.realm = xxmyhost.mydomain.COM
vix.hadoop.security.authorization = true

Another place to possibly ask this question is the hadoop splunk-usergroup Slack channel.

0 Karma

rdagan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Since this is a non tested driver, have you tried to create your own connection?

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/local/db_connection_types.conf
[myhive2]
displayName = myhive2
serviceClass = com.splunk.dbx2.DefaultDBX2JDBC
jdbcUrlFormat = jdbc:hive2://hiveserver:50515/default;sasl.qop=auth;principal=hive/hiveserver@mydomain anon anon org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver

Then in the UI you use some fake parameters.

Kerberos = see example under /opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/default/db_connection_types.conf - generic_mssql_kerberos
Also, this link is useful = http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/2.4.0/DeployDBX/Installdatabasedrivers#Install_the_SQL_Serv...

The identities file, I can only assume = Username: Enter the username of your Kerberos account. Enter the password of your Kerberos account.

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks Raanan.

About the identities file, since the keytab is the encrypted password I wasn't sure how to enter it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...