All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect -- How can I make a dashboard from the results?

Choudharyayush9

I have connected my Splunk to my SQL Server DB.
I am able to run the query successfull and i am getting valid results but results are not coming in event section.
Its showing up only in Statistics.

How can I make a dashboard from the results of sql search? Can I use Splunk search aggregated with DBX command?

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

dbxquery will only every show up in either the Statistics tab or the Visualizations tab because they aren't actually events in Splunk, they're tables from a DB.

You can quite easily make the results a dashboard, it just depends on what you're wanting to do. If you just want the exact results in a table from your SQL statement, you can just save that as a dashboard table. as a rough idea:

|dbxquery connection="connection1" maxrows=0 shortnames=t query="select interesting_fields from table1"

now if you want to do some SPL on top of your SQL to do some aggregations, that's fine, also.

|dbxquery connection="connection1" maxrows=0 shortnames=t query="select interesting_fields from table1"|stats sum(field1) as sum by field2

you can keep that as a table or throw it into a visualization and save it as a dashboard panel. Sky is the limit, in a sense 🙂

If you have more details, that would be helpful so we can nail down a more precise syntax. Details around what type of visualization and/or current syntax/data examples.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...