All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect 2: Why am I unable to create an MS SQL connection with error "Cannot open the database...requested by the login."?

ctaf
Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to create a Connection in Splunk DB Connect 2.

It is a MS-SQL Database. There is no named instance. The only instance is the default one.
The user that I am using has the correct rights.
DB Connect contacts the SQL Server because I see the error logs on it.

Even though I am changing the "Default Database" field in the Connection form, it seems the DB Connect app is not using it.
Indeed, when the database typed is correct, Splunk displays the following error message:

External search command 'dbxquery' returned error code 1. Script output = " ERROR "Exception at ""/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/dbxquery.py"", line 123 : java.sql.SQLException: java.sql.SQLException:java.sql.SQLException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Cannot open database ""mssqlserver"" requested by the login. The login failed.

But "mssqlserver" is not a database name, but the default instance name. There is no reason DB Connect put this name in the database field because I put something else. When I read the SQL Logs, it is clear that DB Connect is using "mssqlserver" as the database name.

Any idea how to make it work?

PS: I tried the MS generic driver and the jTDS driver. None of them work.

0 Karma
1 Solution

ctaf
Contributor

I just had a duplicate conf file... One in the default folder and one in the local folder...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ctaf
Contributor

I just had a duplicate conf file... One in the default folder and one in the local folder...

0 Karma

goelt2000
Explorer

what is the authentication method?
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/334028/splunk-db-connect-2-why-am-i-getting-this-driver-i.html

check if above thread is a similar problem as yours.

0 Karma

ctaf
Contributor

I am just using a normal user/password. No LDAP Authentication.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...