All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect 2: Why am I getting "Internal Server Error" trying to validate a connection to a MS SQL database?

rbigeard
Explorer

I am getting a lot of "Internal Server" Errors popping up as I try to validate a connection to an MS SQL database using DB Connect V2.

Anyone else experiencing the same problem? The splunk logs are not very useful in that respect.

Tags (2)

luislema
Path Finder

You need to open your firewall for port 1433.

0 Karma

pkiripolsky
Path Finder

I downvoted this post because ms sql server doesn't follow traditional port assignment and generally uses dynamically assigned ports.
this is directly from splunk troubleshooting:
" many microsoft sql servers use dynamic ports instead of tcp/1433. work with your database administrator to identify the correct port, or see "verifying the port configuration of an instance of sql server" on the microsoft website."

0 Karma

sreepaada

provides the sql server authentication for the user account which you are trying to connect

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

DBX2 is not able to use a non-SQL account for MS-SQL at this time, unless one of these workarounds is effective for you: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/2.0.2/DeployDBX/Troubleshooting#Cannot_connect_to_Microsoft...

lbenjaminvoigt
Explorer

Appears to be multiple issues on my side... I'm connecting to multiple MSSQL DBs with either a local DB account or an AD account that's been provisioned access to the database. Downgrading from sqljdbc41.jar to sqljdbc4.jar fixed my issue connecting to a MSSQL DB with a local DB account.

However, I still get an error trying to connect to a MSSQL DB using AD credentials. I've attempted multiple databases with various AD accounts.

[WARNING] [health.py] com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException:Login failed for user 'domain\user'
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...