All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect 2: Why am I getting an error trying to create a SQL query input through the database inputs wizard?

mjones414
Contributor

I'm trying to do a SQL query input going through the DB connect 2 database inputs wizard, and the query is a very simple select statement from a table with a where clause. Everything looks good until I get to step 4.

When I define the source, sourcetype, and index, I get the following error at the top of the page:
[object Object]

and the index name is boxed with a red line. I have verified that the index exists, and was created within the db connect 2 app context. I've also restarted Splunk. Any ideas?

0 Karma

cam343
Path Finder

I think I know what the issue may have been, or at least in my case this was this issue:

The DBX connector is installed on a heavy forwarder, and the reason the index box is outlined in red is because the index doesn't exist on the heavy forwarder, but the index is valid on the cluster. Setting it to 'main' then modifying the inputs.conf manually worked for me.

Splunk 6.3.0. Splunk DBX 2.0.5. Sun Java 8.0_60

Cheers

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You don't indicate what version of DBX you are running, but I suspect it is not 2.0.4. If so, can you update to the latest version and try again? It would also be helpful to know what version of Splunk, what browser, and what if any errors you see in the browser console.

0 Karma

phil_iw

I get the same thing and am running Java 8

splunk@devops:~$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_51-b16)
0 Karma

changux
Builder

Do you double check that you have JRE 1.8?

0 Karma

mjones414
Contributor

./java -version
java version "1.8.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_20-b26)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.20-b23, mixed mode)

0 Karma

mjones414
Contributor

The one thing I am doing that might be a little unique is in the JVM options I am specifying a -Doracle.net.tns_admin path, otherwise I will have instance name resolution issues. However, this works fine with doing a dbxquery, its just in the dbinput wizard.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...