All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect 2: What is the best practice for configuring [mi_inputs]?

chawagon03
Path Finder

Long story short. We use DB Connect to pull data. Recently packaged an app for testing purposes to put on another instance, but realized DB Connect information wasn't being included in the app when packaged since the Name Input > App was set to Splunk DB Connect. Changing that seems to have fixed my packaging issue and works great.

Here is the real question. We recently decided to copy the stanza in inputs.conf and manually create 6 more since db table was the only thing changing. Rising column is set and using that to track changes. When I added the new stanzas, the data was indexing properly. I looked in the inputs and noticed that {app folder}/local/inputs.conf looked great and nothing was changed, but noticed that {db connect 2.0}/local/inputs.conf was copying over the [mi_input] name and placing the tail_rising_column_checkpoint_value=value here and a disable=1 - thats it.

Is this normal? And/or something I need to worry about? Could some sort of permissions regarding the connection or something be causing this?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That is normal. We store the rising column checkpoint value in inputs.conf.

View solution in original post

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That is normal. We store the rising column checkpoint value in inputs.conf.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...