All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Cloud Gateway setup

tomasofacci
Explorer

Hi, I've just installed the Splunk Cloud Gateway to gain access to our Splunk Instance using the new Splunk Mobile App. Trying to Register any device is giving me an error "Oops, something went wrong. Try again later or contact your Splunk administrator". All other dashboards (Configure, Devices, Splunk > AR) of the Cloud Gateway app return generic error "We aren't able to load your application settings. Try again later or contact your Splunk administrator." . I've already assigned the Gateway role to the admin role but nothing changes. Any suggestion to fix the issue?

Thanks and regards

1 Solution

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Tom,

It looks to me that there is an issue with the install in particular the modular_inputs required to function aren't installed/running properly. Verify in Settings > Data Inputs that the Local Inputs are installed and enabled:

Splunk Cloud Gateway
Splunk Cloud Gateway Subscription Processor
Splunk Cloud Gateway Mobilie Alerts TTL
Splunk Cloud Gateway Role Based Notification Manager
Splunk Cloud Gateway Metrics Collector
Splunk Cloud Gateway Subscription Clean Up

Other debugging things to try are listed in our trouble shooting guide here:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Gateway/latest/Registration/TroubleshootGateway

Additionally check out the "Cloud Gateway Status Dashboard" via S&R dashboards.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

Same. On prem 7.2 linux installation. curl https://prod.spacebridge.spl.mobi/health_check returns what it is supposed to, but ps ax | grep modular_input doesn't have anything. ugh. documentation is useless

0 Karma

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

if the modular_inputs aren't running please verify that they are installed and enabled. If there is anything in particular with regards to the documentation that you feel is missing we can certainly address that. Cheers.

0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

They are (now) running, rebooted, still same error. Per the documentation no clue what to try next

0 Karma

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you go to the "Cloud Gateway Status Dashboard" are there any errors listed?

0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

Yup, KV store errors. That's probably on me?

0 Karma

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes so you'll need to make sure your user is able to read/write from kvstore and that kvstore is setup for that Search Head.

0 Karma

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Tom,

It looks to me that there is an issue with the install in particular the modular_inputs required to function aren't installed/running properly. Verify in Settings > Data Inputs that the Local Inputs are installed and enabled:

Splunk Cloud Gateway
Splunk Cloud Gateway Subscription Processor
Splunk Cloud Gateway Mobilie Alerts TTL
Splunk Cloud Gateway Role Based Notification Manager
Splunk Cloud Gateway Metrics Collector
Splunk Cloud Gateway Subscription Clean Up

Other debugging things to try are listed in our trouble shooting guide here:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Gateway/latest/Registration/TroubleshootGateway

Additionally check out the "Cloud Gateway Status Dashboard" via S&R dashboards.

0 Karma

nawazns5038
Builder

Unable to initialize modular input "drone_mode_subscription_modular_input" defined inside the app "splunk_app_cloudgateway": Introspecting scheme=drone_mode_subscription_modular_input: script running failed (exited with code 1)

What about this message ? How to resolve it ? @casingc_splunk 

0 Karma

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@nawazns5038 This would indicate one of the modular_inputs executed by the app isn't starting up properly.  If you have already tried debugging by following the suggestions above you may want to try getting more clues as to what might be happening by running the modular_input manually.

Assuming you have access to the instance, try accessing the search head and running the following in your Splunk Home directory.

bin/splunk cmd python etc/apps/splunk_app_cloudgateway/bin/drone_mode_subscription_modular_input.py --scheme

This will hopefully give you more insight into your issues and how you would go about solving it.

0 Karma

nawazns5038
Builder

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "etc/apps/splunk_app_cloudgateway/bin/drone_mode_subscription_modular_input.py", line 23, in <module>
from spacebridgeapp.logging import setup_logging
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_cloudgateway/bin/spacebridgeapp/logging/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
from spacebridgeapp.logging.spacebridge_logging import setup_logging
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_cloudgateway/bin/spacebridgeapp/logging/spacebridge_logging.py", line 7, in <module>
from spacebridgeapp.logging import setup_logging as itoa_logger
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_cloudgateway/bin/spacebridgeapp/logging/setup_logging.py", line 3, in <module>
from builtins import object
ImportError: No module named builtins

I am getting the above error , do you know how to solve it ? @casingc_splunk 

Thanks, 

0 Karma

nawazns5038
Builder

pip install future 

I cannot install this because I see that pip is not installed on the hosts and I don't have root access to the host. 

0 Karma

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The builtins is a fundamental python module so if it's unable to reference that I would look into the installation.  Beyond that I don't think that I'd be unable to help out further as this is not a common issue that I've seen unfortunately.

This was just verified as an issue with an older version of Splunk (at least 7.2.1 or less) and SCG version 1.12.4.  There is no current fix unless you upgrade your Splunk instance or wait for the next build of SCG.  Apologies for the inconvenience.

0 Karma

tomasofacci
Explorer

Hi, all Data Inputs are installed and enabled. On S&R dashboard status is Connected and KV Store is Ready. I'm trying to check for any permission issue.

0 Karma

tomasofacci
Explorer

I followed the same steps to install the Cloud Gateway on my local Enterprise Splunk Instance and all is working fine. I'm able to see the dashboard on my iphone.
Still remains the error on usage of the Cloud Gateway on our Splunk Cloud Instance. Any action on the Cloud Gateway dashboard end with the same error "We aren't able to load your application settings. Try again later or contact your Splunk administrator."

0 Karma

casingc_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Currently there are issues installing the Cloud Gateway on a Splunk Cloud instance through SSAI so you'll need to engage your customer support portal to have the app installed manually.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...