All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App for VMware: Why am I receiving an "insufficient access" error when I am an admin?

aniello_cerrato
Path Finder

Hi,

I have installed Splunk Enterprise version and I have added the app VMWare. When I click on VMWare app and I try to configure it (configuration tab) I have the following error:

Insufficient Access
You are trying to modify a page that you do not have access to, please contact your splunk administrator for more assistance.

I am the administrator of windows machine.

Thanks,
Aniello Cerrato

0 Karma
1 Solution

aniello_cerrato
Path Finder

Hi,

I have solved the problem re-installing all app, I have downloaded it directly the .zip and not using install app from splunk.

Thanks,
Aniello

View solution in original post

0 Karma

aniello_cerrato
Path Finder

Hi,

I have solved the problem re-installing all app, I have downloaded it directly the .zip and not using install app from splunk.

Thanks,
Aniello

0 Karma

maraman_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi

just add the same pb !
looking into the app, I found out the following :
- apps require adding splunk_vmware_admin role to your user
- this doesn't work if you edit admin profile and add splunk_vmware_admin as inheritance

So edit user admin and add splunk_vmware_admin role (no need to unlog, just reload the page after)

to debug :
search for index=_internal source="/Applications/splunk643/splunk/var/log/splunk/splunk_for_vmware_setup.log"

to see the offending function :
Splunk_TA_vmware/appserver/controllers/splunk_for_vmware_setup.py
scroll to function def isValidAdmin(user=None, session_key=None):
check is :
if 'splunk_vmware_admin' in roles:

Hope that helps !

aniello_cerrato
Path Finder

The problem is this, I have installed the VMWare application but I haven't WMWare app in my dashboard but I have SA-Threshold app.

When i try to open this app I have the error:

You are trying to modify a page that you do not have access to, please contact your splunk administrator for more assistance

I have also tried to re-install app but I have the below error:

[HTTP 500] [HTTP 409] App "SA-Threshold" already exists; use the "-update true" argument to install anyway

Could you help me to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Aniello

0 Karma

maraman_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

the pb I had similar to you was on a DCN node (Data Collection Node) , not a search head, so I had not vmware app on it.
As stated by the table in http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/VMW/Installationoverview , you should have installed splunk_for_vmware on your search head.
SA-apps are supporting add ons, not sure you should be able to see something visible in SA-threshold as it's probably used in the background by splunk_for_vmware app.

0 Karma

aniello_cerrato
Path Finder

Hi,

I have a little problem, I don't find splunk_vmware_admin in the roles.

Thanks,
Aniello

0 Karma

maraman_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

strange. it's defined there :
etc/apps/Splunk_TA_vmware/default/authorize.conf:[role_splunk_vmware_admin]
you have deployed Splunk_TA_vmware v3.3.0 ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...