All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App for Stream: Why does the Splunk Web UI layout break when I search events that have the src_content and dest_content fields?

kwchang_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello Stream experts,

I have a few questions about src_content and dest_content fields.

Q1. Sometimes, Splunk Web UI layout is broken when I searched the stream events which have the src_content or dest_content field.
Does this happen because of non-printable characters in the fields?
alt text

Q2. How are the src_content or dest_content fields encoded? Not encoded?

Q3. I tried to truncate the content fields with MaxFieldSize tag in streamfwd.xml. BTW the size of those content fields were not exactly matched with the size that I configured. When it was set to default value, the actual lengths were 11175, 11178... and when I reduced it to 1024, the actual lengths were 1442, 1025, 1392... as you can see below screenshot.
alt text

Tags (1)
0 Karma

vshcherbakov_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Does this happen because of non-printable characters in the fields?

Is splunk able to detect/parse any fields in these events at all, or is the whole event is just a raw text blob?

Q2. How are the src_content or dest_content fields encoded? Not encoded?

These fields are JSON-encoded as per RFC 4627

Q3: the size of those content fields were not exactly matched with the size that I configured

MaxFieldSize is actually designed to be approximate and rounded to a next "chunk" (usually a packet) of data for performance reasons. I'll create a ticket to round it down (not up), so that the actual value is always less than the MaxFieldSize. The main purpose of this parameter though it to cap the event size so that it's not an order of magnitude larger than specified, not to cut exactly NNN bytes of a large field.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...