All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App for Stream: Is there any detailed information on field meanings?

Shisa
Explorer

Is there any detailed information about field meanings in the Splunk App for Stream?
I see the doc, but need more detailed information on the following.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/StreamApp/6.1.0/DeployStreamApp/Whattypeofdatadoesthisappcollec...

On source=“stream:tcp”;
-Does “tcp_status=1” mean src_ip send RST packet to dest_ip on 3-way handshaking phase?
-What is the exact meaning of “tcp_status=2”
-When you use source=“stream:tcp”, why does “refused” not appear? In my test environment, "refused" only appears on app protocol like "stream:http".
-Is it right that “time_taken” means how long a Stream flow takes to complete?
-How do you calculate “missing_packets_out” and “missing_packets_in” values from the packet data?

Any information would be helpful to me, thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

vshcherbakov_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello Shisa,

tcp_status=1 means that the server (dest_ip) sent RST packet in response to the SYN packet during TCP handshake

tcp_status=2 means that the TCP handshake request (SYN packet) was ignored, i.e. the SYN packet wasn't answered and the flow timed out

When you use source=“stream:tcp”, “refused” is not appeared? In my test environment, "refused" is only appeared on app protocol like "stream:http".

This is a bug: you're correct, the "refused" field is only set for HTTP protocol (oops..) I created STREAM-2529 ticket to track this bug. Is it critical for you to get the "refused" field working? BTW, the field description is also incorrect - it should read "1 if the flow was terminated with RST, 0 if not"

Is it right that “time_taken” means how long a Stream flow takes to complete?

Depends on the protocol: generally it means "how long an event has taken to complete" where an event can be a HTTP/DNS request/response, MySql query/server response, etc. or the whole flow (stream:tcp and stream:udp source types)

How do you calculate “missing_packets_out” and “missing_packets_in” values from the packet data

We increment missing_packets_in/out counts every time Stream's TCP reassembly engine encounters a gap in TCP sequence it cannot reassemble (i.e. too many packets with higher TCP sequence have arrived, etc.) in the corresponding (ingress/egress) TCP stream.

View solution in original post

vshcherbakov_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello Shisa,

tcp_status=1 means that the server (dest_ip) sent RST packet in response to the SYN packet during TCP handshake

tcp_status=2 means that the TCP handshake request (SYN packet) was ignored, i.e. the SYN packet wasn't answered and the flow timed out

When you use source=“stream:tcp”, “refused” is not appeared? In my test environment, "refused" is only appeared on app protocol like "stream:http".

This is a bug: you're correct, the "refused" field is only set for HTTP protocol (oops..) I created STREAM-2529 ticket to track this bug. Is it critical for you to get the "refused" field working? BTW, the field description is also incorrect - it should read "1 if the flow was terminated with RST, 0 if not"

Is it right that “time_taken” means how long a Stream flow takes to complete?

Depends on the protocol: generally it means "how long an event has taken to complete" where an event can be a HTTP/DNS request/response, MySql query/server response, etc. or the whole flow (stream:tcp and stream:udp source types)

How do you calculate “missing_packets_out” and “missing_packets_in” values from the packet data

We increment missing_packets_in/out counts every time Stream's TCP reassembly engine encounters a gap in TCP sequence it cannot reassemble (i.e. too many packets with higher TCP sequence have arrived, etc.) in the corresponding (ingress/egress) TCP stream.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...