All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App for NetApp Data ONTAP: What dependency does Data Collection Nodes have on Linux operating systems?

markdflip
Path Finder

I was trying to install the Splunk App for NetApp Data ONTAP from the Splunkbase, but ran into some difficulties. I was trying to configure it for a single instance Windows machine. However, after referencing the documentation, I see that the requirement is:

"A version of CentOS or RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) that is compatible with one of the following"

Does someone know what this dependency is caused by? I am assuming it has something to do with SA-Hydra or SA-Utils.

0 Karma

TStrauch
Communicator

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Note:

Answer in the link is very old. And the person who answered the question is not in charge of the app, anymore. There is no specific schedule or plan to support other OS.

We've seen some users tried other even in linux distribution had some errors or performance issue in the past. They simply didn't realize supported OS and moved to a supported OS to avoid any unexpected issues.

0 Karma

markdflip
Path Finder

@Masa,

I have been trying to setup this app as a POC for a client and have been provisioned a single instance Windows machine.

I understand from a supported OS perspective the answer is the two linux OSes. I'm curious if it's theoretically possible on a Windows machine and trying to figure out if I configured it incorrectly - or is it not possible from a technical stance. I figure there are three possible answers.

1) It is not possible due to some dependency
2) It is not known if it is possible
3) It should be possible, but isn't supported.

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I would say no one knows what errors would be expected. Unsupported environment, it is very difficult to identify issue if that's because misconfiguration or not. I had several users spent hours to make VMware app on Windows working because old VMware app doc didn't clearly mentioned Windows is not supported. As a result, customer ended up with bad experience because POC tried not supported architecture. So, if I were you, I would not try that route spending more time and potentially makes unhappy user experience. Or, you spend your own time to try it and only if it worked, you show it to user as POC. Basically you do not want to fail on POC.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...