All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux - Request for an improvement with fields.conf

lucgnx

Hello,

I would like to request an improvement in the official unix TA : adding a fields.conf with the following content :

[action]
INDEXED = false
INDEXED_VALUE = false

Indeed for some events, the value filled in the field action doesn't exist in the indexed event, so the search can't find the events. See the following topic 

Example :

- command launched : useradd splunky

- event received in Splunk (syslog) : Jul  8 07:21:09 host useradd[4450]: new user: name=splunky, UID=1001, GID=1001, home=/home/splunky, shell=/bin/bash

- applied props.conf : REPORT-account_management_for_syslog = useradd, [...]

- applied transforms.conf : 
## Account Management
[useradd]
REGEX = (useradd).*?(?:new (?:user|account))(?:: | (?:added) - )(?:name|account)=([^\,]+),(?:\s)(?:(?:UID|uid)=(\w+),)?(?:\s)(?:(?:GID|gid)=(\w+),)?(?:\s)*(?:home=((?:\/[^\/ ]*)+\/?),)?(?:.*uid=(\d+))?
FORMAT = vendor_action::"added" action::"created" command::$1 object_category::"user" user::$2 change_type::"AAA" object_id::$3 object_path::$5 status::"success" object_attrs::$4 src_user_id::$6

- Splunk query : index=[...] action="created"  --> No result.

With the proposed fields.conf, the event is found and displayed in the results

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can request changes to Splunk products at https://ideas.splunk.com

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...