All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Symantec Endpoint Protection: Canned field extractions not working

alexlomas
Path Finder

I found that the canned extractions for [field_extraction_for_agt_risk] and [field_extraction_for_agt_behavior] were not working with Splunk 6.2.3 and SEP manager v 12.1.4104.4130.

It looks like the last couple of fields for each were missing, in my case that's category_set, category_type, File_Size & Device_ID. I modified the regexes as below to make the last two fields optional. The pre-built dashboards now work correctly. I don't know if "something" is wrong in the versions, regexes, or logfiles themeselves, but if the developer sees this perhaps they can comment 🙂

[field_extraction_for_agt_behavior]
REGEX = (\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*'[^']*'|\s*[^,]*)){1})?
FORMAT = Severity::$2 Host_Name::$3 Action::$4 Description::$5 API::$6 Begin_Time::$7 End_Time::$8 Rule_Name::$9 Caller_Process_ID::$10 Caller_Process_Name::$11 Return_Address::$12 Return_Module::$13 Parameter::$14 User_Name::$15 Domain_Name::$16 Action_Type::$17 File_Size::$18 Device_ID::$19

[field_extraction_for_agt_risk]
REGEX = (\s*'[^']*'|\s*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1},Application\sversion:\s(.*),Application\stype:([^,]*)(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1}(?:,(\s*[^,']*'[^']*'|\s*[^,"]*"[^"]*"|\s*[^,]*)){1})?
FORMAT = Risk_Action::$2 IP_Address::$3 Computer_Name::$4 Source::$5 Risk_Name::$6 Occurrences::$7 File_Path::$8 Description::$9 Actual_Action::$10 Requested_Action::$11 Secondary_Action::$12 Event_Time::$13 Event_Insert_Time::$14 End_Time::$15 Last_Update_Time::$16 Domain_Name::$17 Group_Name::$18 Server_Name::$19 User_Name::$20 Source_Computer_Name::$21 Source_Computer_IP::$22 Disposition::$23 Download_site::$24 Web_domain::$25 Downloaded_by::$26 Prevalence::$27 Confidence::$28 URL_Tracking_Status::$29 First_Seen::$31 Sensitivity::$32 Reason_for_white_listing::$33 Application_Hash::$34 Hash_Type::$35 Company_Name::$36 Application_Name::$37 Application_Version::$38 Application_Type::$39 File_Size::$40 Category_set::$41 Category_type::$42
0 Karma
1 Solution

mreynov_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Alright, I guess it IS a bug and we will fix in the next release. The difference must stem from a difference in SEP configuration.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mreynov_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Alright, I guess it IS a bug and we will fix in the next release. The difference must stem from a difference in SEP configuration.

0 Karma

alexlomas
Path Finder

OK - let me know if you want file samples offline.

0 Karma

mreynov_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

woud love some samples. thanks!

0 Karma

alexlomas
Path Finder

Not quite sure how to mail them over - we have a support contract so if you can see me in the CRM you can pull out my email address I guess.

0 Karma

mreynov_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

A new reply to an answer on Splunk Add-on for Symantec Endpoint Protection: Canned field extractions not working was posted by alexlomas on Splunk Answers:

Awesome - are any of the other field extractions affected?

On a semi-related topic: how is the malware lookup supposed to work? Or rather, in which reports/panels is it used?

I might have been too hasty, please respond to question below to clarify.

re: malware lookup - it is used to map to CIM category field. TA is focused on getting data into Splunk and does not come with built in visual components. If you have ES, this data will show up in Malware related dashboards.

0 Karma

mreynov_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To confirm: the fields were not being extracted or missing in your logs?

0 Karma

alexlomas
Path Finder

The fields are not in the logs - I modified the extractions to make the last two fields for both files optional with a (?: ... )?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...