All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for OSSEC: Is there a way with OSSEC to monitor when software is installed?

nickbijmoer
Path Finder

Hello,

Is there a way with OSSEC to monitor when software is being installed?

0 Karma

jstoner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you are looking to integrate w ES, the ossec_file_integrity_monitoring source type maps to change analysis and the ossec_alert maps to alert data model.

You could adapt some of the existing correlation searches that use change analysis to fit this need or use the guided search to build a correlation search. You will want to think about how often you want to be alerted to these changes and if there is a certain threshold you would want to set.

0 Karma

nickbijmoer
Path Finder

Im trying to integrate it in Splunk enterprise, since we dont have enterprise security here, is it also possible on enterprise edition?

0 Karma

jstoner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes. You can use the common information model and and the associated TA on splunkbase https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2808/ and build a datamodel search using the change analysis data model or you can just take the ossec data in and then build some searches based on what you see.

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@nickbijmoer - Are you using the Splunk Add-on for OSSEC? I just want to make sure your post is tagged correctly. Thank you.

0 Karma

nickbijmoer
Path Finder

@aaraneta, Yes I use the splunk add-on for ossec.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...